Health Insurance

All international students at Washington College are required to carry health insurance.

You are covered anywhere in the world except for your home country.

You are covered for any accident or illness and may visit any doctor or hospital neccessary to treat you.

Student’s enrolled in the College health plan are covered from August 15 through August 15th. If you are only at Washington College for one semester, please inquire with Health Services in regard to your coverage start and end dates.


If possible, students should be seen by Health Services, and if needed a referral will be made. The staff will be happy to answer any health questions. Health Services can be reached at 410-778-7261. On campus, just dial 7261.


Feel free to inquire with Health Services regarding your insurance coverage. You may also call the insurance company directly at 1-800-437-6448 or (617) 472-5324, or visit their web site at University Health Plans.


You may need money when you go to a private doctor’s office. Check with the doctor’s office before you go. For prescriptions filled at a pharmacy, you must pay for them, then submit the bill to the insurance company for partial reimbursement.

You should carry your health card with you at all times and present it upon entering the hospital.

Billing changes based on treatment and is on a case by case basis. Please check with insurance company with any questions or concerns regarding billing.

If you need another copy of your insurance card, please call Health Services.

For every illness or accident you must complete a claim form. The insurance company mails claim forms to the students whenever they receive a bill. Blank claim forms are available in Health Services.

Remember there is a deductible (a percentage payment) for which you are responsible for each illness/accident. If you fail to fill out a claim form, you will be responsible for the bill. If you have trouble filling out the form, Student Health Services can help.

No insurance company pays 100% of all medical bills.

Finding a plan that meets all of the College's requirements is difficult, so GEO and Health Services recommend that you get WAC's Student Health Insurance Plan. However, you can get a waiver if you can show that your alternative plan will meet all requirements. Do not buy an outside plan unless Health Services verifies in advance that your plan will be sufficient!

  1. Be a US health insurance plan that is filed and approved in the US.

    Please note that the following are NOT considered comparable coverage and are NOT eligible for a waiver of the Student Health Insurance Plan:

    • Students with coverage from insurance carriers outside the United States or coverage by foreign National Health Insurance programs.

    • International student insurance plans such as ISO, PSI and Student Medicover (these plans are not ACA compliant, are not filed in the US and are not eligible for a waiver.)

    • Students with a health insurance plan, such as out of state HMO and EPO plans, that provides coverage through a closed network of providers not reasonably assessable in the area where the student attends school, for all but emergency services.

    • Travel insurance and short-term limited duration plans are not accepted.

  2. Provide coverage for the entire policy year with no break in coverage.

  3. Comply with the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and provide minimum essential coverage as defined by the ACA including:

    • Provide an unlimited policy maximum

    • Include coverage for pre-existing conditions

    • Provide emergency and non-emergency care in the area of the College.