Through campus recycling efforts, Washington College diverts nearly 2,000 pounds of trash a week from landfills.
Bottles and Cans
• Place in recycling bins around campusWe recycle metal cans, glass bottles, and narrow-necked plastic bottles (#1 or #2 plastic). The metal goes to a scrap metal broker, and Kent County collects the rest.
• Place in recycling bins around campus Milk and beverage jugs (#1 or #2 plastic) also get recycled by Kent County.
• Place in green bins around campus We collect clean, dry mixed paper, envelopes (even with windows), newspaper, brown paper, junk mail, thin cardboard (“paperboard”), and books.
• Place in green bins around campus Please break down and flatten cardboard boxes before recycling.
• Central Services • Goldstein 2nd floor We collect clean, dry bubble wrap, padded envelopes, plastic bags (including zipper-lock bags), “air pillow” packing, and cling wrap.
• Dunning/Decker 2nd floor office • Help Desk, William Smith Hall • hodson student engagement area • Caroline Hall (Res Life office) • Gibson Center,
We collect alkaline batteries and “button” batteries. We are unable to recycle rechargeable batteries at this time.
Cartridges and Electronics
• Help Desk, William Smith Hall. You can bring printer cartridges (inkjet and laser) and small electronics to the Help Desk on the ground floor of William Smith Hall. If unsure about an item, call 410-778-7777.