International Student Employment Information

Many international students want to work while studying in the United States. It is important that you know both Washington College policy and U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations before looking for employment.

All international students on F-1 and J-1 student visas are allowed to work on-campus with certain restrictions. Employment is considered to be on-campus if you are being compensated by Washington College.  Employment with outside vendors is not permitted even if the work takes place at Washington College.

All hiring for campus jobs is managed by the Career Development Center. Staff will also help students prepare for employment with interviewing practice, résumé and CV writing, and appropriate interview apparel.


Other types of Employment

Students who want to seek employment off-campus must get employment authorization before obtaining a job.  

The following options are available for students on an F-1 student visa.

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)
  • Severe Economic Hardship (SEH)


Having internships during your college career is very important, but as an international student, you want to be sure you are following regulations to maintain your status.  Internships are open to both F-1 Students and J-1 Students.  Before you begin your internship, you need to get employment authorization.  Below is the type of authorization you need to begin an internship.

F-1 Students  

GEO and the Career Center have put together a presentation about planning your career and post-completion OPT. You can check it out by clicking on the picture below:

Click this to hear the Career Services/GEO presentation on finding a job and OPT.

J-1 Students