The Writing Center is your writing resource at Washington College. We offer one-to-one, individualized writing tutorial sessions as well as group writing workshops.
What happens in a Writing Center Session?Each session with a writing consultant lasts about 45 minutes. You and the consultant will read and discuss the piece of writing you are working on. By the time you leave the Writing Center you should have a clearer sense of where you want to go next and some strategies to help you get there.
What can I bring to the Writing Center?Wherever you are in the writing process, regardless of the course or discipline, we can help. You don’t even need to have anything written yet! Our consultants are happy to work with you on
- brainstorming at the start of an assignment
- developing and sustaining an argument
- clarifying your paper’s organization, transition, and flow
- writing in American academic English, for those who are English Language Learners
- developing your Senior Capstone/Thesis project
- preparing work for publication or submission to writing contests or prizes
- incorporating research and sources effectively
- citing sources accurately in MLA, APA, or Chicago style
- crafting personal statements for internships, scholarships, and/or graduate school applications
- developing cover letters for job applications
- any writing you are working on
Writing Center News
SCHEDULED HOUrS*Monday - Friday
*Drop-in sessions may be available, but we highly recommend booking appointments in advance.
DROP-IN ONLY HOURS*Monday - Thursday
Miller Library (2nd Floor, Kohl Study Room)
You can find us for all evening and weekend hours in the Kohl Study Room, on the second floor of the library. Just take a right at the top of the main stairway!
*Drop-in hours are first-come-first-served.