Fulbright U.S. Student Program

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, and administered by the Institute for International Education (IIE), offers diverse opportunities for research and cultural exchange for current U.S. students and recent graduates. Over the course of 8-12 months, Fulbright fellows are immersed in the culture and daily life of the country of their choice. Successful applicants to this program will show an interest in promoting cultural ambassadorship, and will have limited prior experience in their particular country of application (less than six months, not counting undergraduate study abroad).

There are two main umbrellas of Fulbright grants: the Study/Research Awards and the English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Awards. Grants are generally for a year.

Deadlines: See an overview of the Fulbright Application Process

Eligibility: Bachelor's by time of award

Duration: Varies by country, generally 8-12 months

Website: us.fulbrightonline.org


You can apply for a Study/Research grant to one of 150 countries to fund

  • (A) independent research projects
  • (B) graduate study
  • (C) opportunities to pursue a creative or performing art (e.g. dance, vocal performance, metalworking, creative writing) at an advanced level

or some combination of the above.

Applicants from all academic fields and backgrounds are welcome to apply. You might design an academic or field research project that builds on your previous research. You might propose putting theory into practice, by studying the effect of an NGO or national policy. You might well be learning from that country’s example — how do they approach a social issue that you’ve already thought about deeply? Fulbright has a number of subject-specific awards in digital storytelling (National Geographic), foreign ministries (Fulbright-Clinton), business, public health, and journalism. Search by country for more details.

You could also enroll in a 1-year Masters program in a number of countries (Australia, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, South Korea, Spain, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom) or apply for an Arts grant to develop a particular craft or artistic technique with a person or organization in your chosen country.

Some grants combine elements of A, B, and C. For example, the Masters in Classical Acting at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA) is an example of a grant to support graduate study in a performing art (B+C). Alternatively, you might want to supplement a sociological research project by taking a graduate-level course at a university in your host country (A+B). Or, you might be doing ethnographic research for a novel or screenplay (A+C).