Apply for aid

Financial Aid Process

A college education is a significant investment made by the student and their family. Applying for financial aid is a free and simple way to help bridge the gap between the cost of education and the student’s resources. Washington College strongly encourages all students, regardless of financial circumstance, to apply for financial aid. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required to be considered for need-based financial aid at Washington College. 


How to Apply

Step 1:

Apply and be admitted to Washington College as a degree-seeking student.

Step 2:

Complete the FAFSA. The FAFSA becomes available on October 1 each year. Washington College school code is 002108.

The FAFSA information is used to determine whether you are eligible for federal grants, certain scholarships and work-study programs.  A FAFSA application is required each year to determine your financial aid.



Both the student and one parent will need a FSA ID to complete the FAFSA application. The FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid's online system and can serve as your legal signature.  



New students/parents are notified of financial aid decisions on a rolling basis. Returning students are notified in June after the completion of spring semester courses.

New students are mailed a paper copy of their offer letter. All students will receive email notification when their aid offer is available in Student Self Service. New students will receive an email from the Office of Institutional Technology with instructions on how to setup their Student Self Service account approximately 7 to 10 days after being admitted to the college. 



1.  You must be enrolled at least half-time in an eligible program each fall and spring semester. However, in some cases, Federal Pell Grant funds may be available to undergraduate students enrolled less than half-time.

2.  You must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree program.

3.  To continue receiving your aid, you must be making satisfactory academic progress.

4.  You must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. permanent resident or you must have been granted political refugee status by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to be eligible for federal financial aid. 

5.  In-state students may be eligible for Maryland state financial aid through the Maryland Higher Education Commission

6.  You must not be in default on any federal loan (such as Federal Perkins, Federal Direct Loan, Federal Family Education Loan, Federal SLS or Federal PLUS).