- Goldstein 111
My office hours vary each semester. Please check the syllabus, email me, or visit http://calendly.com/bbunten2 to schedule a meeting.
- Ph.D. | Curriculum & Instruction: Language and Literacy Education | The Pennsylvania
- Dissertation title: “Voices of the Classroom Policymakers: How Teachers Make Sense of an English-only Policy”
- M.A. | Applied Linguistics | UMass Boston
- B.A. | Spanish, Elementary Education | Gettysburg College
Teaching at WC
- EDU 303. Comparative Education
- EDU 318. Cultural & Linguistic Diversity in Education
- EDU 351. Processes & Acquisition of Reading
- EDU 352. Reading Instruction & Assessment
- EDU 354. Children's and Young Adult Literature
- EDU 412. Curriculum & Instruction: Language Arts and Social Studies
- EDU 413. & 414. Elementary Education Teaching Internship
Prior Teaching Experiences
As a former bilingual and ESL educator in Massachusetts, Professor Bunten worked with elementary-aged students from all over the world and facilitated professional development seminars on language acquisition, cultural sensitivity, and second language literacy and assessment for in-service teachers.
- Spanish (as a foreign language) | Grades K-8
- Two-way Bilingual Program Teacher | 5th Grade
- ELL Administrator & Lead Teacher | Grades K-5
- Adult ESL & Citizenship Courses
- Teaching Reading & Language Arts in Elementary School (college-level)
- Teaching English to English Language Learners (college-level)
- Language, Culture, and Classroom Issues for Practitioners (college-level)
- Evaluating Schools, Performances, and Programs with ELLs (college-level)
- Clinical Application of Instruction (college-level)
Professor Bunten’s research interests include: addressing the needs of English language learners (ELLs) within teacher education, investigating the impact of a culturally and linguistically diverse student population on teaching and learning, understanding the language and literacy development of ELLs, and interpreting language policy and its impact on students, teachers, schools and communities.
Kelty, R. & Bunten, B. A. (2017). Risk-taking in higher education: The importance of negotiating intellectual challenge in the college classroom. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
Bunten, B. A. (2014). “Welcome to America, now speak English: Preservice teachers’ discourses focus on native Russian-speaking students.” Reprinted in N. Gallavan (Ed.) Annual editions: Multicultural education (17th edition). McGraw Hill.
Bunten, B. A. (2014). Neither right nor wrong: How a teacher integrates her personal and professional life with policy. Theory Into Practice, 53(3), 204-211.
Kim, Y., Erekson, J., Bunten, B. A., & Hinchey, P. (2014). Toward sustainable educational changes through school-based professional development on ELL assessment for new teachers. Theory Into Practice, 53(3), 228-235.
Bunten, B. A. (October, 2017). "Expanding the Possibilities: Undergraduates' Reflections on Cultural and Linguistic Diversity." New Orleans, Louisiana: Curriculum and Pedagogy Conference.
Kelty, R., & Bunten, B.A. (March, 2016). “College Classrooms and Safe Spaces: Negotiating Intellectual Challenge and Risk Taking in Higher Education.” Boston, Massachusetts: Annual Meeting of the Eastern Sociological Society.
Kelty, R., Bunten, B.A., & Kraus, S. (February, 2015). “The Risk of Personalizing Privilege and Oppression: Pedagogy to Foster Understanding the Social Nature of Stratification.” New York, New York: Annual Meeting of the Eastern Sociological Society.
Bunten, B.A. (November, 2014). “The Impact of Personal Experience on Undergraduate’s Understanding of Cultural and Linguistic Diversity.” New Orleans, Louisiana: Curriculum and Pedagogy Conference.
Kim, Y., & Bunten, B.A. (April, 2013). “Knowledge Poverty in ELL Teacher Education Assessment: Issues & Explorations.” San Francisco, California: Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association.
Involvement on Campus
Día de Fútbol, Co-Advisor
- Día de Fútbol | 2016: Article
- Día de Fútbol | 2016: In Pictures
- Building Bridges: El Día de Fútbol (informational video) September, 2015
- “College Hosts Día de Fútbol” (My Eastern Shore MD article)
- Facebook page
- Twitter: @WACdiadefutbol
- 2013 Event Gallery
- 2014 Event Information
- 2015 Event Information & Gallery