Offices & Services

Office of Student Financial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What application materials are needed to apply for financial aid?

    WC requires aid applicants to submit the FAFSA (WC code # 002108) by March 1.

  • How many Washington College students receive aid?

    Approximately 85% of the student body receives some form of need-based financial aid or merit-based scholarship award.

  • How can I order a copy of my tax transcript?

    IRS tax transcripts are often used to validate income and tax filing status. The IRS has a new system called “Get Transcript” and it allows you to download and print your transcript immediately if the tax return for the chosen year has been processed, or you can request a copy be mailed to you.


    All you need to do is go to:

  • How do I contact the Office of Student Financial Aid to get more information?


    Phone: 410.778.7214 

    Write to:

    Washington College Office of Student Financial Aid
    300 Washington Avenue
    Chestertown, MD 21620-1197


  • Where can I find additional sources of financial aid?

    A good place to start is here—on our Private Scholarships page. Students can conduct scholarship searches and discover a wealth of helpful information at a number of websites.

  • Does Washington College offer a prepaid tuition plan?

    Yes, Washington College offers a prepaid tuition plan which guarantees savings by protecting the student from future increases in the price of tuition. Tuition may be prepaid at the prevailing semester rate by multiplying the current semester rate by the number of semesters to be prepaid. Prepayment must be received in the student accounts office along with the prepayment agreement document by no later than August 5 in order to lock in at the current semester’s tuition rate.

    The Prepaid Tuition Option covers tuition only; room, board, and other fees cannot be prepaid and will be invoiced according to the normal fall/spring billing cycle(s).

    For additional information or questions, please contact Jeani Narcum, Director, Office of Student Aid at 410.778.7214.

  • Does WC participate in a tuition payment plan that allows installment payments for each semester’s bill?

    For a modest annual fee, Washington College families can make their college payments in 5, 10, 11, or 12 month installments.

  • Are there state financial aid programs that I should know about?

    Yes. Maryland residents can benefit from a variety of state-funded scholarships and grants. Information about these programs is available in high schools and at local public libraries. Filing the FAFSA on or before March 1 is a requirement for state-funded programs. In most cases, out-of-state residents cannot transport their home-state awards to WC.


  • Will your institution meet my full financial need?

    The percentage of demonstrated need that is met by the College’s aid award varies from student to student. Meeting full demonstrated need is not the policy of Washington College.


  • Are Washington College admission decisions ‘need-blind’?

    Yes, admission decisions are made without consideration of a student’s financial circumstances.

  • Once my financial aid package is awarded, will additional scholarships reduce the amount of financial aid I can receive?

    Additional scholarships will not reduce the amount of a merit-based aid award; however it may change the distribution of funds within a need-based award package. WC is one of many institutions that reserves the right to replace institutional funds in a need-based award with outside funds. Additional scholarships can be combined with institutional merit scholarships—up to the annual cost of attendance.

  • What are your need-based and merit-based programs?

    These four-year scholarships range in amount from $11,000 to $21,000 per year and are awarded to admitted applicants on the basis of secondary school achievement and potential for success. All admitted applicants are reviewed by the Scholarship Committee to determine their eligibility for these awards.

    All National Honor Society and Cum Laude Society members who are admitted to Washington College are awarded a WC Academic Tuition Scholarship for at least $15,000 annually for four years. To qualify, students must be a NHS or CLS member at the time of admission to the College.

    Hodson Trust Scholarships are awarded to admitted applicants who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement, character, and school/community citizenship. These four-year scholarships range in amount from $15,000 to $20,000 per year.

    These $6,000 scholarships ($1,500 annually for four years) are awarded to entering students who intend to major in American Studies or History.

    These $6,000 scholarships ($1,500 annually for four years) are awarded to entering students who intend to major in English and/or minor in Creative Writing and who show outstanding promise in the field of English or American literature.

    Two admitted students from each area-art, music and drama - are awarded a  $1,500 renewable scholarship (renewed based on a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0). Students who have a proven talent in art, music, or drama, but who do not necessarily intend to major in the arts, are encouraged to apply.

    For more information, visit the Scholarships page.

  • Does Washington College offer athletic scholarships?

    No. As a NCAA Division III member, Washington College is prohibited from awarding athletic scholarships.

  • Does Washington College engage in ‘award negotiation’?

    No. Special circumstances that relate to the needs-analysis process and that can be documented should be brought to the attention of the Office of Student Financial Aid as soon as possible.

  • Will my request for aid have any impact on my ability to be admitted to WC?

    No. All applicants are encouraged to apply for financial aid.

  • When will I be notified of my financial aid eligibility?

    Financial aid for new students is awarded on a rolling basis beginning in February.

  • What are the deadlines for submitting financial aid forms?

    The FAFSA deadline is March 1.

  • What types of financial aid are available?
    • Federal Pell, TEACH, and SEOG grants
    • Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Student Loans
    • Federal PLUS (parent) Loans
    • Federal Work Study
    • State scholarships and grants
    • WC academic tuition scholarships (merit-based)
    • WC tuition grants (need-based)