Coronavirus Update: Washington College responds to coronavirus outbreak. More Info

Offices & Services

Student Handbook

Residential Life

Washington College educates its students in the broadest sense. Living in a residence hall augments learning gained in the classroom. Living on campus also provides students with many opportunities to create rich and rewarding relationships with other students, especially those formed by involvement in social and educational activities outside of the classroom. Students have a unique opportunity to shape their community while living and learning with peers.

All students have the right to expect that residence halls will be reasonably quiet and well maintained. The College recognizes that a student’s residence hall is his/her “home away from home” and should be treated as such. The College assumes the responsibility for maintaining the buildings, and students must assume responsibility for reasonable use of these facilities and for establishing a positive atmosphere where all students may study, sleep and live. Students who violate the spirit of the residence hall system or violate the rights of other students are subject to disciplinary action.


  • Residential Life Staff

    Residential Life Staff

    Residential Life is staffed with professional and paraprofessional student staff who provide supervision, guidance, and support to individual students and to floor and hall communities.


    Director of Residential Life:  Ursula Herz

    Associate Director of Residential Life: Amy Sine

    Area Coordinators:  Kailey Feuerstein & Nakia Johnson


    Area Coordinators are professional, full-time staff with master’s-level education and a background in student learning and development who live in staff apartments in the residence halls. Area Coordinators provide direct oversight to two areas of the residential campus. Under the supervision of the Associate Dean of Students and the Director of Residential Life, each Area Coordinator supervises a Resident Assistant Director (RAD) and the Resident Assistant staff of that area.  Area Coordinators address student well-being or behavior concerns, manage minor student conduct issues in their areas, and coordinate programming and events. The Area Coordinators hold regular office hours and are available to provide individual student assistance.


    Resident Area Directors (RADs) are experienced, upper-class student leaders trained to provide additional support and supervision to RAs and supervision to a portion of the RA staff. RADs assist in major departmental programs and initiatives.


    Resident Assistants (RAs) are assigned to a floor or a residence hall. The RAs help build a community within the residence halls by getting to know residents, upholding policies, and planning floor and hall activities. RAs understand the College’s mission, procedures, policies, and the Honor Code and are instrumental in working with residents to shape community standards and respectful behavior.


    Assistant Area Coordinators (AACs) are student assistants to the Area Coordinators and help with the administrative tasks of managing the residence halls such as work orders, key management, or publications.

  • Residency Requirements

    Residency Requirements

    All matriculating, full-time students are required to live on campus during their enrollment. Fourth-year students with senior credit standing, a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA, and good social and academic standing, both on campus and off campus, area eligible to apply for an exemption to this requirement.  The number of students exempted from the requirement will be dependent upon projected occupancy levels of the residence halls.  Permanent local resident students and students over the age of 22 will receive priority if they request and exemption to the residency requirement.  Requests to waive the residency requirement will be reviewed by of Off-Campus Review Committee  and the decisions of that committee are final.


    Students requesting an exemption from the residency requirement should do so by the deadlines as detailed on the Residential Life website and follow the instructions on the Housing Requirement Exemption Form.  Once the deadline for such requests has passed, only students with exceptional and unexpected circumstances occurring after the deadline will be considered for off-campus residency. Exemptions to any of these deadlines will be reviewed at the discretion of the Chair of the Off-Campus Review Committee. 


    Students who move off campus without permission of the Office of Residential Life or Off-Campus Review Committee will be billed for on-campus housing and a meal plan.  Local resident students must live in a permanent or family-owned residence.  If it is determined that they are living elsewhere, they will be billed for on campus housing and a meal plan.  Once the academic year has started, the housing contract is in effect for the academic year.  Students wishing to cancel a current housing contract due to exceptional, unforeseeable circumstances during the academic year must apply to break the housing contract in a separate application available from Residential Life.


    Students approved to live off campus are required to provide the Office of Residential Life with current information about their residence, including local street address, phone number, and landlord contact information. Students who have previously lived off campus may apply to return to on-campus housing through the Office of Residential Life. Space may be limited, and housing will be offered to students based upon availability.  

  • Room and Board Contracts

    Room and Board Contracts

    All students living in campus residence halls must accept the housing contract with the College. Any student who has checked into a room in the residence halls without signing the contract will be considered to have agreed to the housing contract.  Students requesting accommodations in the College residence halls assume the responsibility to abide by all College regulations. Students whose relationship with the College is terminated by withdrawal, suspension, or expulsion shall vacate the residence hall within 48 hours.


    All students residing on campus, except in Kent Crossing Apartments, must select a residential meal plan option. Dining services offers numerous meal plans to meet individual needs. Please check the Dining Services page on the website for more specific information -


    Students must select a meal plan when completing their individual housing contracts. Any student who has not done so by June 1 will automatically be assigned the 19 Meal Plan.  Students may change their meal plan until the end of the second week of each semester via their WebAdvisor account.  

  • Residence Hall Room Assignments and Rooms
    Residence Hall Room Assignments and Rooms

    The room assignment procedure for the following academic year will be announced during the preceding spring semester. Housing applications are typically available starting February 1 and are due the last week of March in order to participate in room selection.  Students will be notified about the room selection process via email, signage in the residence halls, and additional information posted online.  Late applicants will be assigned by staff after room selection.


    The College reserves the right to change room assignments when necessary. No room changes may be made without the permission of the Office of Residential Life. Students should see their Area Coordinator for assistance or questions about room change procedure guidelines.


    At times, Residential Life may need to convert lounges and temporarily expand occupancy in some rooms to accommodate housing demands.  Students placed in expanded occupancy rooms will be required to move to a standard placement as they become available.


    Students studying abroad and returning in the spring semester will be contacted in October regarding housing arrangements.  Students returning for the following fall semester will be able to sign up for campus housing through the lottery process during the spring semester.  

  • Themed Living Options

    Themed Living Options

    Washington College offers three themed living options on campus.


    Presidential Fellows Housing is an option for first-year students who are selected as Presidential Fellows upon admission. Students who request this option are assigned together on a floor or section of a hall.  Students in Presidential Fellows housing can have a non-Presidential Fellows roommate.


    The Arts House provides programming and activities geared toward those students interested in the visual and performing arts. Students can participate in plays on the Middle Hall stage or showcase their art in the annual student art show.


    The STEM House is an excellent option for students interested or majoring in a related STEM field. This program is designed to help students achieve their academic potential through study groups, social programming, and close interactions with faculty. Interested first-years are assigned to Kent Hall.  Upper-class students assigned to West Hall.

  • Occupancy of Room Assignment

    Occupancy of Room Assignment

    Dates and times that residents may occupy the residence halls are determined by the Office of Residential Life. The published dates and times for both move-in and move-out will be communicated to all residents. The residence period for each semester normally begins one day prior to the first day of classes and usually ends 24 hours after the student’s last final or on the day the last day of final exams, whichever comes first. For graduating seniors, the residence halls will close on graduation day after commencement ceremonies. For Winter break, all residence halls are closed between the end of the fall semester and the beginning of the spring semester.  Residents typically take home essential items for winter break but are not required to move out all of their belongings.  Requests to arrive before or stay after the published dates and times are only considered by Residential Life if circumstances are unexpected or unavoidable.  Scheduling conflicts and personal preferences are generally not considered acceptable.  Students are expected to schedule travel in accordance with published dates.

  • Room Check in and Check Out

    Room Check-in and Check-out

    Residents checking in and out of rooms must do so during the dates and times announced by the Office of Residential Life. Residents are required to complete a Room Condition Report with their RA upon checking in and out of their rooms. Students are responsible for cleaning their room, returning all furniture to the way it was at check-in, and removing and placing trash in designated locations.  Based on the Room Condition Report, the room will be assessed for damages above and beyond normal use and students will be assessed a charge for damages to the room. Additional charges may be assessed for reassembling furniture, removal of a resident’s belongings or trash, and cleaning.  All keys must be turned in to the area RA office.  Any keys that are NOT turned in to the RA office will be documented as a lost key and the student charged accordingly.  This includes any key left behind in the room or suite.

  • Room Changes

    Room Changes

    Occasionally, students encounter difficulties with roommates.  While a room change may be desired, students are first encouraged to resolve the conflict themselves by having a conversation with roommate(s) or suitemates.  If no resolution is reached or a student needs assistance on how to talk with their roommate about issues, the resident should talk to a RA.  The RA will discuss the situation with all roommates and explore options. If a room change seems warranted after this step, the resident will be asked to discuss the matter with their Area Coordinator, who will determine whether a room change is approved. All room changes are based on space availability or willingness of all participants to exchange rooms.  Room changes can only happen at certain times during the academic year.  Room changes will not be made during the first two weeks of each semester.  At the end of the fall semester, room change requests must be completed by 2 weeks before the closing of the halls.  Depending on the complexity of the move and the need to have all spaces correctly vacated at closing, students may need to remain after exams to complete room changes, be prepared to move quickly, or store items in a friend’s room until spring semester.


    Room changes during the academic year must be approved and arranged through the Area Coordinator.  If a student moves without permission from the Area Coordinator, the student remains responsible for all charges and damages for the room that they are assigned to by the College in addition to disciplinary action.  Charges include the room rate, keys and any room damages.

  • Care and Furnishing of Rooms

    Care and Furnishing of Rooms

    Students are asked to keep their rooms reasonably clean and orderly. Rooms are expected to be cleaned weekly and any issues reported to either staff or via the work order system quickly.  The walls, doors, and ceilings of the rooms are not to be defaced. Nails, tacks, and adhesives (tape, glue, etc.) may not be used on walls, and students may not paint walls or furnishings. Rooms contain beds, desks, chairs, dressers, closets, window blinds, and screens on the windows. Students may not move furniture from lounges or floor common areas to their rooms.  Students need to provide their own blankets, pillows, desk lamps, towels, sheets, etc. Students may not remove furniture from their rooms, and the College is unable to store room furniture. The repair or replacement cost of any items of room, suite, or residence hall furnishings that are removed, damaged, or lost will be charged to the assigned occupants. Students may not make their own repairs. Any items that are not allowed by the College to be removed and disposed of, if necessary, at the student’s expense. The College reserves the right to make announced periodic room inspections in order to assess safety and damage.  Students may make cleaning and repair requests using the College’s on-line system found at

  • Damage and Cleaning Charges

    Damage and Cleaning Charges

    Resident students are responsible for common areas of their residence hall and any shared common areas in suites or apartments. Room and common area damages, including cleaning charges, will be assessed to the responsible student whenever possible; however, when the responsible person or persons are not identified, the cost for repair or cleaning will be divided among all occupants of the suite, floor or building (whichever is appropriate). Students should report damage to their RA or Public Safety immediately.  Students reporting all damages that they or others have been involved in helps with prompt replacement or repairs and appropriate billing.

  • Fire Safety

    Fire Safety

    Each semester, Public Safety will hold unannounced fire drills for all residence hall students.  Students are expected to vacate their residence hall when they hear a fire alarm or are directed to do so by appropriate College staff.  Failure to do so may be considered a violation of College policy.


    Tampering with fire extinguishers or smoke detectors is a violation of College policy that may result in suspension.


    Per state code, students are not permitted to store their bicycles or any personal property in building stairwells.  Bicycles or property left in stairwells may be removed.  Bicycle racks are provided outside most residence halls.


    All furnishings in the residence halls are expected to meet state fire codes for college residence hall furnishings.  Personal furniture or mattresses are therefore not allowed.  Mattresses for medical accommodation must meet the fire code standards for Maryland state residence halls.  Unapproved appliances will be removed and student held responsible with the judicial process. 

  • Small Appliances

    Small Appliances

    A student may bring the following items depending on location.  All electrical appliances must be UL approved.   For questions regarding any item not listed, please contact the Residential Life Office.


    All bedrooms:  refrigerator (not more than 5 cu. ft.), microwave, game systems, fans, air purifiers, televisions (may not be mounted on walls), hair dryers, coffee makers with automatic shut-off.


    Non-bedroom spaces (confined to common rooms in applicable suites or kitchens in apartments): toasters, small closed-element electric grills or electric kettles, popcorn poppers, slow cookers, rice makers.


    Due to safety considerations, the following items are prohibited from all residence halls: portable heaters, halogen lamps, hot plates, toaster ovens, propane or charcoal grills, incense, candles and anything with an open flame, anything with an exposed heating element, multi-arm lamps with plastic shades.  Any appliance or item not listed specifically but poses a fire hazard or risk to students will be confiscated by staff.

  • Guests


    All visitors to a residence hall are the responsibility of the host resident who invited and/or admitted that visitor into the building, suite or room (visitors are those not directly affiliated with Washington College or Washington College students who are not residents of the building, suite or room). This means that students are responsible for the behavior of their guests under the campus conduct process.  Visitors must be escorted at all times by the host resident. Unescorted visitors may be asked to leave, and both the host resident and the visitor may be subject to judicial action.


    Residents who allow non-residents into the building are putting themselves and others at risk. Allowing non-residents into the building means that person becomes the resident’s visitor and the resident’s responsibility. This includes a resident holding the door open for a non-resident behind them, allowing them to follow him or her into the building.


    Overnight guests (students and non-students) are permitted in the residence halls within reason. Guests may only stay for two consecutive nights or 4 non-consecutive nights per month and only with the permission of the other roommate(s) or suitemate(s). Exceptions to this may only be granted by a professional staff member of Residential Life.  Under no circumstances should a residence hall room or suite become the primary residence of anyone other than the assigned students.


  • Quiet Hours / Courtesy Hours

    Quiet Hours / Courtesy Hours

    Residence Hall quiet hours are from 11p.m.-10 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and 1 a.m.-10 a.m. Friday and Saturday. “Courtesy hours” are in effect at all times. A student should expect to be asked to reduce noise that is audible beyond their room (especially if it can be heard in rooms two or three doors away). 


    The student is expected to comply with any such request from either staff or other residents.  Excessive noise is unacceptable at all times. Residents are responsible for ensuring noise levels do not disturb other students. A student who fails to respond to reasonable requests to lower or eliminate noise may face judicial action. During exam week, quiet hours are extended to 24 hours per day.  Quiet hours in Kent Crossing begin at 8 p.m. every night of the week, in accordance with complex policy. 


    Students who need to practice their music are encouraged to utilize the Gibson Center for the Performing Arts.  However, playing live music together is an excellent community builder and some residence hall lounges structurally allow for the playing of live music with minimal disruption depending on the time, location, and instrument(s).  Students wanting to play live music solo or with others need to talk with their Area Coordinator to determine good locations and time frames and be approved by the Area Coordinator.  

  • Selling and Soliciting

    Selling and Soliciting

    Selling, canvassing, or campaigning door to door in the residence halls is not permitted.  Students are not permitted to operate a business or maintain property inventory for a business from a residence hall facility. This includes businesses operated via the internet or phone.

  • Smoking


    Due to health risks and fire hazards caused by smoking or the passive inhalation of tobacco and other smoke or vapors.  ALL college buildings are designated “smoke-free”.  Smoking/Vaping/Juuling is prohibited in College buildings and outdoors within 25 feet of entrances and exits of campus buildings.  Smoking is allowed in designated areas around campus.  Violations of this policy will result in a fine and/or disciplinary action.  Smoking includes but is not limited to use of cigarettes, cigars, pipes, e-cigarettes, juuls, and other personal vaporizers or other devices associated with “vaping”.  The act of using any tobacco or inhalation product in any college facility or outdoor sporting area is prohibited, including, but not limited to the following products:


    • Cigarettes (e.g. cloves, bidis, Ireteks)
    • Cigars
    • Cigarillos
    • Hookah smoked tobacco products
    • Marijuana
    • Pipes and oral tobacco (e.g. spit, spitless, smokeless, chew, snus, snuff)
    • Nasal tobacco
    • Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes)
    • Vapes, Juuls, vaping devices
    • Any other product that contains tobacco flavoring or is intended to mimic tobacco products or deliver nicotine for any purpose other than that of cessation by nicotine patches or nicotine gum.


    All residence halls, including entryways, are always smoke-free.  Students who any substance in their residence hall rooms can expect to be charged for cleaning or replacement of all furnishings, floor tiles, and paint in addition to facing judicial action.  Hookahs - single- or multi-stemmed water pipes used for smoking tobacco - are allowed to be used on campus grounds but, in accordance with the Smoking Policy, cannot be used inside residence halls or any other campus building. Furthermore, in accordance with the College’s drug laws and policies, hookahs should not be used to smoke marijuana or other illegal drugs.


    ”Smoking” is defined as the burning of tobacco or any other substance including, but not limited to, marijuana in any type of smoking equipment, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, cigars or pipes.  Vaping is defined as the act of inhaling and exhaling vapor produced by an electronic cigarette or an analogous device.

  • Outdoor Sports/Games

    Outdoor Sports/Games

    Students and guests are not permitted to engage in any kind of sport in the residence halls (i.e. dribbling basketballs, lacrosse, etc.).  These activities can cause safety, noise and damage concerns for all residents. Individual or group behavior that causes damage, harassment, accident, or injury to an individual or group or to College or personal property is not permitted. Students responsible for behavior that causes damage, harassment, etc. will face judicial action.  Damage caused in common areas will be charged to the students of that unit unless the person(s) responsible are identified to pay for the damage.

  • Window Screens

    Window Screens

    Room window screens are not to be removed. Removing window screens or changing or altering a screen or window in any way may be considered vandalism and result in judicial action.

  • Pets


    Pets are not allowed in any residence hall. Students violating this policy, either by having a pet or where there is evidence of a pet, may be subject to conduct in addition to necessary repair, cleaning and/or fumigating charges where applicable. Exceptions are made for aquarium fish (in tanks of 10 gallons or less) and approved service or therapy animals.  If a non-approved animal is discovered, the animal needs to be removed immediately by the student. 


    Service or therapy animals must be approved by the Office of Disability Services and Academic Skills prior to coming to campus or risk immediate removal. For the safety of all residents and staff, students approved to have a service or therapy animal must provide proof of Maryland required vaccinations pertinent to the breed in question prior to arrival.  Failure to provide such will require immediate removal of the animal until documentation of current vaccinations is provided to Residential Life.

  • ID Cards

    ID - Access Cards

    New students will receive a Washington College Student ID Card that employs multiple technologies, one of which allows the ID to be used to access certain residence halls and other facilities (when requested by members of the faculty or staff). When cared for properly, the ID card should last for the entire period that an individual attends Washington College. The ID card should not be folded, bent, or punctured in any fashion. Replacement of a lost or broken ID card will be charged to the student.


    When accepting an ID card, students will comply with the following rules and regulations:

    • ID/Access Cards issued by the College are the property of Washington College.
    • When an ID card is lost or stolen, it must be reported to the Department of Public Safety immediately.
    • ID cards are assigned to students individually and are not to be given or loaned to anyone else.
    •  College keys and ID cards must be surrendered to Public Safety officials upon request.


    The Department of Public Safety is responsible for issuing ID/access cards,  Please safeguard ID cards at all times.  ID/access cards should never be loaned to another individual for any reason.  Students should contact the Department of Public Safety with questions or concerns regarding obtaining a new ID card or replacing a lost ID card.


    Area Coordinators will update electronic building access if a student changes to a different residence hall during a room change.

  • KEYS


    If you have lost a key, report it immediately to your Area Coordinator.  Keys are not allowed to be replicated by any non-Washington College entity.  One room key will be issued to each student residing on campus.  Please safeguard residence hall keys at all times.  Keys should never be loaned to another individual for any reason.  Contact the Area Coordinator regarding obtaining a new or a lost key.  There is a fee involved for replacing a lost or broken ID Card.


    It is the student’s responsibility to turn in a key at the end of occupancy.  When a student moves out for either a room change or upon leaving the campus, all keys must be turned in to the area RA office.  Any keys that are NOT turned in to the area RA office will be documented as a lost key and the student charged accordingly.  This includes any key left behind in the room or suite.


    Keys lost or not returned in accordance with this policy will result in a replacement charge for a room key. When necessary, they key core may need to be changed at the student’s expense.  This charge is in addition to the charges for replacing the key and/or lock.



    Students who are locked out need to contact the RA office phone for their areas.  If you do not get a response during the day, please reach out to your RA to see if they can assist you. All lockouts are recorded.  It is the responsibility of the students to carry their key and ID card at all times.  If locked out, students should be prepared to wait until an RA becomes available.  For emergency situations only, students may call the Department of Public Safety.  Students with multiple lockouts may be held accountable with a fine and/or be referred through the conduct process as a safety, facilities or other violation.


    Sassafras - 410-810-5820

    • Western Shore
    • Harford
    • Sassafras, Chester, Corsica
    • Kent Crossing


    Cullen - 410-778-7727

    • Cecil, Talbot, Dorchester
    • Cullen
    • Kent
    • East, Middle, West


    Caroline - 410-699-0092

    • Minta Martin
    • Reid
    • Caroline
    • Queen Anne’s
  • Expectations for Off Campus Behavior

    Expectations for Off Campus Behavior

    Washington College students can contribute greatly to the Chestertown community when engaged in positive activities and respectful relationships with neighbors.


    As members of the Chestertown community, Washington College students are expected to comply with local ordinances and town, state and federal laws.  Students are also expected to demonstrate responsible citizenship off campus and behave in a manner that is considerate of their neighbors.  Neighbors have a right to the peaceful enjoyment of their property and to protect their property investment.  Any student who engages in disruptive, disorderly, or destructive behavior off campus will be held accountable by Washington College.


    If a citation is issued or a nuisance call/complaint is made regarding an off-campus house owned, rented or leased by Washington College students, the tenants of the residence will be held accountable by the Washington College Honor Code in addition to the civic authority.  All tenants, whether present or not at the incident resulting in a neighbor complaint or a police or Public Safety response, are responsible for behavior that takes place at their dwelling.

  • Individual Student Behavior

    Individual Student Behavior

    Any off-campus student who repeatedly violates community standards or is involved in a single serious incident may be required to move into on-campus housing with all associated costs being the student’s responsibility.  Students who already reside on campus will be held accountable for behavior off campus.

  • Maryland Social Host Liability Law

    Maryland Social Host Liability Law

    As of July 5, 2016, the Maryland Court of Appeals has ruled that adults (18 and over) who knowingly and willingly furnish alcohol to someone under 21 will be held culpable.  “Alex and Calvin’s Law”, a bill that has stiffened the fines and jail time for adults who provide alcohol for underage guests, was also passed.


    All students hosting a party, gathering, or individuals  - either on campus or off - should be aware of the presence of alcohol when guests under 21 are present, control access to alcohol provided by host, and take steps to ensure safety of underage students.


    Hosts are strongly encouraged by Washington College to monitor the behavior of all guests and take appropriate action to minimize behavior that will impact the host, the guest in question, other guests, and the neighborhood.

  • Policy and Expectations

    Policy and Expectations:

    1. General care and upkeep of the residence:  Care and maintenance of a rental property is expected to be consistent with and blend in with owner-occupied homes in the neighborhood.  Since many student-rented houses are in the historic district, this is particularly important.

     B.  Behaviors that may be illegal, disruptive, and/or disrespectful.  Students should be particularly aware of the following behaviors:

    1. Use and misuse of alcohol
    1. Use or possession of alcohol by underage students
    2. Providing or distributing alcohol to underage students and non-students
    3. Carrying open containers of alcohol on sidewalks and streets
    4. Possession or use of fake IDs
    5. Excessive noise associated with the service of alcohol to large groups


    1. Noise and/or disruption while traveling in and through a neighborhood

    Chestertown is a pedestrian-friendly town, and the proximity of the college to the center of town and other amenities encourages walking.  As students travel through the various neighborhoods in town, they should conduct themselves in a manner that does not disrupt the area.  Noise, littering, public intoxication and urination, etc. disturb and create an unsafe environment for residents.

    The following behaviors may be disruptive and/or illegal:

    1. When people travel in large groups, they typically become louder. Excessive noise associated with travel in large groups adds to the nuisance level.  Conversing with raised voices, yelling, and screaming at any time of day or night is disruptive.
    2. Public urination
    3. Littering


    3. Parties at student owned or rented houses

    Students hosting parties at off-campus houses are responsible for the size of the party, the activities occurring at and associated with the location, and the impact on the neighborhood, particularly in regards to noise, trash and vandalism.


    Parties at student houses can generate disturbances in the neighborhood and surrounding areas.  In particular, excessive noise is often generated by people on the porch and/or an outside area of the house, and by large groups traveling to and leaving from the party.


    “Progressive” or “around the world”-type parties involving alcohol can, by their nature, be especially disruptive to neighborhoods.  All housing location participating as a host “stop” can be held accountable for planned excessive disruption to the neighborhood and surrounding area.


    1. Noise

    Students who reside off campus, as well as those who reside on campus but are traveling through a neighborhood, must abide by all Chestertown ordinances regarding noise. Specifically:


    117-5:  Noise generated from sources used for entertainment purposes or group noise purposes…

    1. Prohibited noise: 

    The noise created by groups or individuals in a building or other structure or outside a building or other structure on public or private property and the sound can be heard more than 50 feet away from the building or structure beyond the boundaries of the property surrounding such building or structure, whichever is greater or measuring above 65 decibels in the daytime or 55 decibels at night.  Noise generated by altercations, parties, social events, rallies, meetings or other celebrations are included in this section to the disturbance of the citizens residing in the area.

     b.  Presumptions:

    Where the source of the prohibited noise, as set forth in division (4-A) of this section, is located in a building or other structure, the owner, occupant, resident, manager or other person in possession of the premises shall, if present, be presumed to have permitted the noise in violation of this section in the absence of evidence to the contrary.


    1. Trash/Litter

    Students, either living off campus or passing through residential neighborhoods, are expected to follow town ordinances regarding garbage and litter.  For off-campus student rental or student-owned properties, it is expected that residents will collect and dispose of garbage as required by the town and maintain a property free of loose garbage, recyclables, or litter.  This includes storage of items on porches, yards or driveways.


    Ordinance 85-1, Trash:  Waste material or objects, including bulk trash and garbage, that has been discarded or apparently discarded by its owner and its existence on public and private property is subject to penalties prescribed in this and other town ordinances”.

    1. Cans, bottles, cups, food containers and food should be disposed of in trashcans or recycled as appropriate. Improper disposal of food waste, including pizza, wings and their containers, invites pest animals to infest that home, yard and surrounding areas.
    2. Residents should not store trash on porches, including household trash and indoor furniture such as couches and recliners.


    6.  Other

    1. Vandalism to public and private property: Students who engage in vandalism of public or private property off campus will be held accountable.
    2. Vehicles: Students living in or visiting need to follow all parking restrictions.  Students should be aware that parking in some neighborhood streets is for residents only. Even on streets without such restrictions, students should be aware that the vehicles of their guests regularly parked on the street may be problematic for their neighbors.  Also, at no time can one or multiple vehicles impede traffic or be parked in such a manner as to block the passage of another vehicle, including emergency vehicles.


    Ordinance 160-5 (A) All vehicles within the town shall be driven and parked on the right-hand side of the street, unless a street or avenue is designated by a sign to be for one-way traffic.  At any time that it shall become necessary, the Mayor and Council may mark and designate areas which may become congested for parking restrictions, banning parking altogether if necessary.  No automobile or other vehicle shall stop in any street, avenue, or highway in a manner so as to hinder or delay traffic or passage, and the Police Department is empowered to enforce this provision by impounding the vehicle.

  • Chronic Nuisance Properties

    Chronic Nuisance Properties

    Any off-campus student who is a tenant of a house deemed a chronic nuisance property by the town or College will be required to move into on-campus housing with all costs being the student’s responsibility.

    In accordance with Chestertown Ordinance:

    59-4, Conditions Constituting a Nuisance

    1. A d isorderly house nuisance is a dwelling, as defined in this chapter, where any of the following has occurred within a 365-day period.
    2. Two or more calls for police service that result in criminal arrests, criminal citations, criminal indictments, criminal warrants, criminal summonses, civil citations or civil summonses arising out of separate and distinct facts and disturbances (as defined by the statutes of the state and/or the ordinances of the town or of the county) which occur at a dwelling or on property in close proximity to a dwelling:
    3. Two or more violations of Chapter 45 of the Town Code relating to alcoholic beverages arising of separate and distinct facts and circumstances;
    4. Two or more violations of Chapter 68 or Chapter 117 of the Town Code relating to nuisances, arising out of separate and distinct facts and circumstances;
    5. Two or more violations of Chapter 54, Chapter 135 or 159 of the Town Code relating to property maintenance, arising out of separate and distinct facts and circumstances;
    6. Two or more violations of Chapter 170 of the Town Code relating to zoning, arising out of separate and distinct facts and circumstances; or
    7. A combination of two incidents from any of the above categories, arising out of separate and distinct facts and circumstances.