Our Mission and WAC Diversity Statement
To provide resources and opportunities to the Washington College community to live, learn and work in spaces across difference.
Core Student Values
Regardless of a person’s identity based on age, race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity expression, sexual orientation, religion or lack thereof, socioeconomic status, citizenship status, ability, military service, or any other classification making individuals special and unique, the office will:
- Develop and educate citizen leaders
- Foster intercultural engagement
- Provide opportunities for self-awareness and reflection across difference
Our vision is to create a community in which all people feel valued and valuable for who they are.
Washington College’s Diversity Statement
We, the students, faculty, staff, and Board of Visitors and Governors of Washington College, welcome, invite, value, and support a diverse community of individuals. We strive to create a place where all can study, work, and thrive. We believe in the worth, dignity, and safety of human beings of all races, ethnicities, nationalities, gender identities and/or expressions, sexual orientations, socioeconomic statuses, cultural backgrounds, cognitive or physical abilities, emotional and behavioral characteristics, ages, and educational levels. In the pursuit of academic excellence, we endeavor to be a community made up of people from a variety of backgrounds with differing perspectives, life experiences, religious, philosophical and political beliefs, lifestyles, and ideologies. We pledge to create a respectful and supportive environment for collaboration, empathy, and the building of meaningful relationships among members of Washington College. We commit to fostering a more equitable, inclusive, and engaged community that embraces all the complexity that each person brings to campus.
- We will empower all members to contribute ideas, ask questions, contest assumptions, and revise points of view through civil debate.
- We will confront and challenge attempts to dehumanize others through prejudiced attitudes, behaviors, and practices that exclude, demean, or marginalize any individual or group.
- We will encourage alumni, parents, visitors, guests, and the wider community to respect and embrace the values and behaviors that we embody.
Our promise is to cultivate a continuous desire and ability to understand and meaningfully engage with different perspectives and experiences, including those of historically underrepresented and marginalized groups. We seek to contribute to the full intellectual and emotional development of every person and to the enrichment of our local, regional, national, and global communities.