College Policies I Administrative Closing Pay Policy
At times it may be necessary for the College to declare specific hours as administrative closing as the result of inclement weather or other campus emergency situations.
1. Regular hourly employees in an active pay status who are scheduled to work during the emergency closing will be granted administrative closing which will be recorded as such, not to exceed the hours scheduled to work. For example, if the College delays opening until 10:30 A.M., employees will receive administrative pay from the time they are scheduled to report to work until 10:30 A.M. An employee scheduled to report to work at 8:30 would receive 2 hours of administrative pay in the example above. Normally the decision to close is made by 6:00 a.m.
2. If an emergency closing has not been declared and an hourly employee is prevented from reporting to work for his or her normally scheduled working hours, annual leave, personal leave or leave without pay will be charged. When there is a business necessity, supervisors may permit employees to make up the time lost provided it can be done within the work week in which the event occurred and the supervisor has approved the request in writing.
3. Hourly Employees who are designated or allowed to work during an administrative closing will be paid for time worked and for the time of the administrative closing. For example, an employee who is normally scheduled to start work at 7:30 a.m. would receive 3 hours of pay if the College opens at 10:30 a.m. instead of 8:30 a.m. In addition to the 3 hours of administrative closing pay.
4. Employees may request unplanned vacation or personal leave in anticipation of a weather related emergency. Approval of such requests will be based on the business requirements of an employee’s services. If the employee is essential to the continued operation of the department or unit, then the request will be denied. These same employees will not be allowed to use sick leave for the weather related emergency for which vacation was requested. If essential employees fail to report to work during a weather related emergency, the missed time will be treated as leave without pay.
5. If an employee is on scheduled paid leave during an administrative closing, the employee will receive credit for the administrative closing.
6. Regular employees who are not scheduled to work during an emergency closing will not be compensated for the emergency closing.
7. Employees who are scheduled for approved paid leave (vacation, sick or personal) will receive the Administrative Closing Pay instead of being charged for the paid leave.