All students attending Washington College are required to have Health Insurance. You may choose to purchase the plan offered by the college if you do not have insurance, or if your policy will not cover you in the state of Maryland.
To ensure that all of our International Students (including Visiting/Exchange Students) have adequate insurance coverage while in the US, you will be required to purchase our student health insurance policy.
Annual Rate for 2017/2018 - $1320.00
Fall Only- $554.00
Spring Only - $766.00
2017/2018 Visit this web site to print your insurance card
Please note: If you are using your own health insurance, you are required to complete a new waiver for each academic year you attend Washington College.
Health Insurance Requirements
All full-time students enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours are automatically enrolled in the school-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan.
The annual premium will be included on the student’s fall semester tuition bill. If a student has comparable coverage, and does not wish to participate in the school-sponsored plan, the student must provide proof of alternate coverage by the following deadlines:
- Fall 2016 Semester - July 15, 2017
- New incoming students in the Spring 2017 Semester - January 5, 2018
If you want to confirm your acceptance of the school-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan and expedite the processing of your insurance card, you should complete an online Enrollment Form by visiting www.universityhealthplans.com, clicking on “Washington College” and then “Enrollment Form”. Same deadline dates as listed above.
YOUR 2017-18 WASHINGTON COLLEGE STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN through CIGNA
- Coverage is underwritten by National Guardian Life Insurance Company
- Coverage is effective 8/15/17 - 8/14/18
- The Plan Brochure providing an outline of coverage will be available to view or download at www.universityhealthplans.com, select Washington College, and then select the “Benefit Information” tab to the left of the screen.
WILL MY CURRENT INSURANCE WORK?
To assist you in making an informed decision regarding your health insurance needs, below are a couple of questions to ask your current health plan representative to ensure that it provides adequate coverage while you attend Washington College:
- Does the plan provide coverage while in the Chestertown, MD area? Many HMO plans provide coverage only for emergency or limited treatment outside of the HMO area.
- Does the plan provide coverage anywhere in the world, including emergency medical evacuation and repatriation benefits? Many employer-sponsored plans provide coverage only in the United States, and most do not include any evacuation or repatriation benefits.
Submitting a Waiver Form
If you have alternate, comparable coverage you may waive coverage under the Student Health Insurance Plan and the fee for premium online. Follow the waiver process below:
- Visit www.universityhealthplans.com.
- Click on “Washington College”.
- Select the “Student Health Insurance Plan” option.
- Click on the “Waiver Form” button to the left.
- Fill in all the required information – if any information is missing, your waiver will NOT be accepted.
- Submit the Waiver Form.
Within a few minutes after completing the waiver process, you will receive an email response indicating whether the waiver was accepted or denied. Be sure to print the confirmation number for your records, as this is the only documentation indicating that the form was submitted. If the form is not accepted, fill it out again and resubmit. If it is still not accepted, contact University Health Plans via email (click on icon at bottom of web page), or via telephone at 1.800.437.6448 or 617.472.5324. Please e-mail, fax or mail a copy of your current insurance after your complete your waiver.
E-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax - 410-810-7101
Failure to complete the online waiver form by the fall semester deadline of July 15, 2017 will result in your automatic purchase of the school-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan for the 2017-2018 academic year. There will be no allowance for a late waiver submission or premium refund. Please note that you will be required to complete a new waiver for each academic year you attend Washington College.
We encourage you to read and familiarize yourself with the Student Health Insurance Plan brochure. If you have any questions regarding the student plan or the waiver process, please contact University Health Plans at 1.800.437.6448.
This is a brief description of benefits and not a certificate of coverage. If there is a discrepancy between the information contained herein and the Policy, the Policy will prevail. The Policy will contain reductions, limitations, exclusions and termination provisions. Insurance is underwritten by UnitedHealthcare Student Resources.