All students attending Washington College are required to have Health Insurance. You may choose to purchase the plan offered by the college if you do not have insurance, or your policy will not cover you in the state of Maryland.
To ensure that all of our International Students (including Visiting/Exchange Students) have adequate insurance coverage while in the US, you will be required to purchase our student health insurance policy.
Annual Rate for 2015/16 - $1499.00
Fall Only - $626.00
Spring Only - $873.00
Please note: If you are using your own health insurance, you are required to complete a new waiver for each academic year you attend Washington College.
Health Insurance Requirements
All full-time students enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours are automatically enrolled in the school-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan.
The annual premium will be included on the student’s fall semester tuition bill. If a student has comparable coverage, and does not wish to participate in the school-sponsored plan, the student must provide proof of alternate coverage by the following deadlines:
- Fall 2015 Semester - July 15, 2015
- New incoming students in the Spring 2016 Semester - January 15, 2016
If you want to confirm your acceptance of the school-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan and expedite the processing of your insurance card, you should complete an online Enrollment Form by visiting www.universityhealthplans.com, clicking on “Washington College” and then “Enrollment Form”. Same deadline dates as listed above.
YOUR 2015-16 WASHINGTON COLLEGE STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN HAS CHANGED.
- Coverage is now underwritten by UnitedHealthcare Student Resources
- Coverage is effective 8/15/15 - 8/14/16
- The Plan Brochure providing an outline of coverage will be available to view or download at www.universityhealthplans.com, select Washington College, and then select the “Benefit Information” tab to the left of the screen.
Once your insurance eligibility has been sent to the insurance carrier, you will be able to access your on-line insurance ID card.
Insurance ID Card
To download your Insurance ID Card, please do the following:
Visit www.universityhealthplans.com, and select Washington College from the menu.
- On the Washington College welcome page, to the left hand side is the “Insurance ID Card” tab, and you will be linked to the UnitedHealthcare website.
- On the left hand side of that page, there will be the option to create an account. When you select that option, the following will be requested.
First Name: * Please enter your first name
Last Name: * Please enter your last name
Date of Birth: * (eg. mm/dd/yyyy)
Please also provide the value listed below to help verify your identity.
Email Address: * (eg. firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please enter your email address. You should enter the email address that you use for Washington College, as that will be the one provided to UnitedHealthcare.
Set Up Your Account
Choose a Username and Password
Once you set up your account, you can download the pdf of your insurance ID card, and can request a permanent one at that time.
Will My Current Insurance Work?
To assist you in making an informed decision regarding your health insurance needs, below are a couple of questions to ask your current health plan representative to ensure that it provides adequate coverage while you attend Washington College:
- Does the plan provide coverage while in the Chestertown, MD area? Many HMO plans provide coverage only for emergency or limited treatment outside of the HMO area.
- Does the plan provide coverage anywhere in the world, including emergency medical evacuation and repatriation benefits? Many employer-sponsored plans provide coverage only in the United States, and most do not include any evacuation or repatriation benefits.
Submitting a Waiver Form
If you have alternate, comparable coverage you may waive coverage under the Student Health Insurance Plan and the fee for premium online. Follow the waiver process below:
- Visit www.universityhealthplans.com.
- Click on “Washington College”.
- Select the “Student Health Insurance Plan” option.
- Click on the “Waiver Form” button to the left.
- Fill in all the required information – if any information is missing, your waiver will NOT be accepted.
- Submit the Waiver Form.
Within a few minutes after completing the waiver process, you will receive an email response indicating whether the waiver was accepted or denied. Be sure to print the confirmation number for your records, as this is the only documentation indicating that the form was submitted. If the form is not accepted, fill it out again and resubmit. If it is still not accepted, contact University Health Plans via email (click on icon at bottom of web page), or via telephone at 1.800.437.6448 or 617.472.5324.
Failure to complete the online waiver form by the fall semester deadline of July 15, 2015 will result in your automatic purchase of the school-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan for the 2015-2016 academic year. There will be no allowance for a late waiver submission or premium refund. Please note that you will be required to complete a new waiver for each academic year you attend Washington College.
We encourage you to read and familiarize yourself with the Student Health Insurance Plan brochure. If you have any questions regarding the student plan or the waiver process, please contact University Health Plans at 1.800.437.6448.
This is a brief description of benefits and not a certificate of coverage. If there is a discrepancy between the information contained herein and the Policy, the Policy will prevail. The Policy will contain reductions, limitations, exclusions and termination provisions. Insurance is underwritten by UnitedHealthcare Student Resources.