Offices & Services

Study Abroad

Financial Aid

You can use Washington College financial aid for study abroad through a Washington College Program!


Any student using financial aid to study abroad should meet with the Washington College Financial Aid Office.  The skilled staff in Financial Aid will work with you to ensure you understand how your Financial Aid will be awarded.  Financial aid for your time away is based on your host institution’s fees rather than the  fees and expenses at Washington College. 

If you are participating in an approved Washington College program, you may use Washington College funds, federal funds, and state funds to help pay your expenses.

Scholarships for Study Abroad: 

There are two national awards available to Washington College students.

  1. The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship is for current Pell Grant recipients (check with the Financial Aid Office if you are unsure if you receive this award).  Please review the Gilman scholarship eligibility, and if eligible schedule a meeting with the Director of International Programs to review scholarship details.
  2. The Boren Scholarship is for students interested in national security issues (broadly defined) who plan to study in non-traditional study abroad locales.  Please review the WAC Nationally Competitive Opportunities webpage for more details.  

Some Washington College Departments have additional funding and assistance to support study abroad.  Please check with your Department Chair to inquire about departmental scholarships.