Offices & Services

International Student Services

Health Insurance

All international students at Washington College are required to carry health insurance.

For this purpose, all students who are not covered by a US insurance company with branches located and accepting claims in the United States are required to enroll in the Accident and Sickness Insurance for International Students of University Health Plans. Below are some things you should know about your insurance.

Where am I covered?

You are covered anywhere in the world except for your home country.

What am I covered for?

You are covered for any accident or illness and may visit any doctor or hospital neccessary to treat you.

When am I covered?

Student’s enrolled in the College health plan are covered from August 15 through August 15th. If you are only at Washington College for one semester, please inquire with Student Health Services in regard to your coverage start and end dates.

Who can I contact if I have a health question?

If possible, students should be seen by Health Services, and if needed a referral will be made. Our staff would be happy to answer any health questions. Health Services can be reached at 410-778-7261. On campus, just dial 7261.

What do I do if I have an insurance question?

Feel free to inquire with Health Services regarding your insurance coverage. You may also call the insurance company directly at 1-800-437-6448 or (617) 472-5324. , or visit their web site at University Health Plans.

If I go to a doctor, do I need cash?

You may need money when you go to a private doctor’s office. Check with the doctor’s office before you go. For prescriptions filled at a pharmacy, you must pay for them, then submit the bill to the insurance company for partial reimbursement.

How does the billing and insurance system work in the US?

You should carry your health card with you at all times and present it upon entering the hospital.

Billing changes based on treatment and is on a case by case basis. Please check with insurance company with any questions or concerns regarding billing.

How do I get a replacement card?

If you need another copy of your insurance card, please call Student Health Services.

Things To Be Aware Of

For every illness or accident you must complete a claim form. The insurance company mails claim forms to the students whenever they receive a bill. Blank claim forms are available in Health Services.

Remember there is a deductible (a percentage payment) for which you are responsible for each illness/accident. If you fail to fill out a claim form, you will be responsible for the bill. If you have trouble filling out the form, Student Health Services can help.

No insurance company pays 100% of all medical bills.

For more detailed information about insurance visit Benefits and Coverage