Offices & Services

International Student Services


Many international students want to find a job while studying in the U.S.  It is important that you know both Washington College policy and U.S. Immigration Regulations before looking for employment.

On-Campus Employment

All international students on F-1 and J-1 student visas are allowed to work on-campus.  

Employment is considered to be on-campus if you are being compensated by Washington College.  Employment with outside vendors is not permitted even if the work takes place at Washington College.

Other types of Employment

Students who want to seek employment off-campus must get employment authorization before obtaining a job.  

The following options are available for students on an F-1 student visa.

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)
  • Severe Economic Hardship (SEH)


Having internships during your college career is very important, but as an international student, you want to be sure you are following regulations to maintain your status.  Internships are open to both F-1 Students and J-1 Students.  Before you begin your internship, you need to get employment authorization.  Below is the type of authorization you need to begin an internship.

F-1 Students 
Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Optional Practical Training (OPT)

J-1 Students
Academic Training