Want to obtain a Driver’s License in America?
Any student who is classified as a F, M, or J non-immigrant, with active status in the SEVIS record are permitted to attain a Maryland drivers license or Identification card.
When can an international student apply for a Maryland State drivers license or ID card?
10 days after arrival (to permit time for data processing through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) program.
At least two weeks after verifying active status under the SEVIS program.
How to apply for a drivers license
Apply for a Social Security Number at the Social Security Administration in Elkton. International students will be denied (if not employed on campus) for a social security card, and will instead receive a Form SSA-L676 “Refusal to Process SSN Application.”
Complete the SAVE verification request form
- Upon completion of this form, a MVA representative will contact you within two business days. If applicable you then will schedule an appointment at the MVA. Bring a copy of this email to the MVA on the day of your appointment.
- If you experience any difficulties with the form, or do not receive a response within two business days, please send an email to the MVA to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go to the MVA (locations in Easton and Elkton), and present the following documentation
Items with an * are required
- *Copy of the email with your appointment
- *2 documents that provide proof of residence in Maryland.
- *Valid passport with visa (if applicable)
- *Form I-94, “Arrival/Departure Record”
- *Form I-20 (for an F or M student) /OR/ Form DS-2019 (for a J exchange visitor)
- Form I-766 “Employment Authorization Document (EAD card)”
- Form I-797, “Notice of Action,” in cases of a change of status
- *Social Security number (SSN) on a Social Security card /OR/ A Social Security Administration (SSA) Form SSA-L676, “Refusal to Process SSN Application.”
- 3-hour drug and alcohol education program.
Please refer to this website and read the exact steps for more information.
At this point you will make an appointment to take your driving exam. Upon completion of the exam you will receive your drivers license.
An F, M, or J nonimmigrant, DSO or RO with further questions about driver’s licenses not addressed in this document should contact SEVP at email@example.com. For questions about a specific state’s motor vehicle policy, please contact that state directly.
For general SEVP policy questions, contact the SEVP Response Center at 1-800-892-4829 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information visit SEVP’s official website.