Masticate and Confabulate
Masticate & Confabulate is a group that meets to discuss teaching while sharing food, drink, and community. Faculty are surveyed at the beginning of the semester, and topics and meeting dates/times are chosen based on interest and availability.
Some meetings happen over lunch in Hodson Hall, while others are in the late afternoon with drinks and snacks in the Hodson Faculty Lounge.
An article is often shared about a week in advance to spark discussion, or participants may be asked to bring ideas or items for discussion from their own classes.
M&C meets approximately once a month during the academic year. All faculty are welcome! For upcoming meetings, see the Events Schedule.
Past meeting topics have included:
- Enhancing lecture and interactive lecture
- Group work
- Technology tools in the classroom
- Increasing class participation
- Leading classroom discussion
- Teaching writing
- Constructing a syllabus and course design
- Formative assessment including rubrics
- Teaching critical thinking
- Discussing difficult topics in the classroom
Please contact Suzanne Thuecks (email@example.com) with questions. We hope you can join us!