Coronavirus Update: Washington College responds to coronavirus outbreak. More Info

Offices & Services

Business Office

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q. When can I expect a bill?

    A. Tuition, fees, room and board are billed twice a year. Charges for the fall semester are billed in July; charges for the spring semester are billed in December.

  • Q. When is payment due for my tuition bill?

    A. Payment due date for fall semester is the first Monday in August. Payment due date for spring semester is the first working day in January. Check the Business Office web site for the listing of the due date for a specific semester.

  • Q. When is the late payment fee assessed?

    A. A late payment fee of $200.00 is assessed on undergraduate accounts when the Amount Due reflected on the Web Statement of Account is in excess of $2,000 after the due date for the semester.  Please refer to your bill or the Business Office web site for the semester due date. A late payment fee of $80.00 is assessed on graduate accounts for payment received beyond the second week of class.

  • Q. How will I receive my bill?

    A. All students will receive statements electronically via Student Self-Service. Monthly email reminders will be sent to their Washington College email address. Students are encouraged to add at least one additional email address (Under Reminder Email Recipient in Web Advisor) so a person responsible for paying the bill will also receive an email alert that the bill is available for viewing/printing. The students may authorize parental access by completing Parent Proxy while logged into their Student Self-Service account. The parent will then receive their own your name and password for access to the Student Self-Service platform. 

  • Q. Can I check the balance of my account online?

    A. Yes. A student can log into Student Self-Service 24/7 to view their account balance.  

  • Q. Can I see prior billing information on Student Self-Service?

    A. Yes, Student Self-Service provides the ability to view billing/payment information for any term the student has been registered for. 

  • Q. Can a parent check a student’s account online?

    A. Yes, a parent can access a student’s account online, provided the student has set up Parent Proxy for the parent. 

  • Q. How can a student give a parent access to their Student Self-Service account?

    A. To give a parent access to a student’s Self-Service account the student needs to log into their Student Self-Service account and select Parent Proxy in the drop down menu under the User name on the header bar, then select the person to add Proxy for. 

  • Q. What payment options are available for paying my tuition bill online?

    A. Payment can be made electronically on Student Self-Service with log in or on the Business Office web site. Payment can be made with MasterCard, Discover Card, American Express Card (there is a 2.50% convenience fee for these payment types), or by E-check from a checking or savings account (no fee is charged).

  • Q. How do I pay my bill by mail?

    A. When paying mail, please be sure to include the student’s name and student account number on your check. Payments can be mailed to:

    Washington College
    Business Office
    300 Washington Avenue Chestertown, MD 21620

  • Q. Can I pay my bill in person?

    A. Yes, payment can be made in person at the Bursar’s window located on the ground floor of Bunting Hall. Payment can be made with cash, check, traveler checks or money order. PLEASE NOTE: Credit and debit card payments can not be processed in the office.

  • Q. Does Washington College offer a payment plan for payment?

    A. Yes, a Payment plan is offered through Official Payments. For each semester there is the option of a 5 month plan (beginning 7/20 for fall semester and 12/20 for spring semester) or 4 month plan (beginning 8/20 for fall or 1/20 for spring). There is a $55 enrollment fee for each semester paid at the time of enrollment. Payment can be made with eCheck at no additional cost or with credit card with a 2.5% convenience fee with a minimum fee of $3.95 per installment. Payment is due on the 20th of the month with a 10 day grace period. There is a $20 late payment fee assessed for payment beyond the grace period. A link to the enrollment site can be found on the Business Office Make a Payment page or under Helpful links on the Account Summary page in Student Self Service. 

  • Q. How can I enroll for the college payment plan?

    A. Simply visit , click on ‘Enroll Now’, choose the payment plan option that is best for you and follow the easy steps to complete your enrollment. If you have any questions about the plan, call Official Payments at 866-964-4020 and a specialist will be happy to assist you.

  • Q. What is the Security Deposit?

    A. All full time registered students a billed for a Security Deposit with their first bill. The Security Deposit is held the entire time the student is enrolled. Upon leaving the college the Security Deposit is refunded in the student’s name to the home address of record provided there are no outstanding charges due to their Student Account. Any outstanding charges will be deducted from the Security Deposit and the remainder refunded. If a student should subsequently return to Washington College, the Security Deposit will be re-billed with the first billing upon their return.

  • Q. Who can I contact if I have a question about my bill?

    A. For tuition billing and general questions you can contact the Business Office at 410-778-7266 ext 8. If the question is related to a specific item you may want to contact the Department from which the charge originated, as they would have the details related to the charge.

  • Q. Can I change my assigned meal plan?

    A. Meal plan changes can be made on the student’s Web Advisor account up through  last day of Drop/Add for each semester.


  • Q. Do I have to have a meal plan?

    A. All resident students are required to carry a designated resident student meal plan unless special waiver is granted by the Dining Services Office for medical reasons.

  • Q. I have a credit balance, will I receive a refund?

    A. A credit balance will be refunded upon request from the student. A request can be made by completing the Refund option found on the Student Web Advisor page under Transfer/Refund Credit Balance.

    Please note that refunds cannot be issued based on “Pending Financial Aid or payment plan contract amounts that have not yet been disbursed to Washington College.

  • Q. What is the college refund policy should I withdraw?

    A. The College must make financial commitments to its faculty, staff, and service contractors on an annual basis and thus depends on tuition and other dollars to meet those commitments. If a student withdraws from the College during a semester, the student will be responsible for all non-refundable amounts. When the student withdrawal results from a disciplinary action, the College makes no refund of any kind.
    Tuition refunds or credits will be allowed according to the following schedule: Before classes begin: 100%; during the first two weeks of classes: 75%; during the third week of classes: 50%; during the fourth week of classes: 25%. After the fourth week of classes there will be no refund. Fees are generally not refundable after the start date of the semester.
    Residence hall spaces are assigned for the full semester; therefore no refunds or credits for rooms are given for a student withdrawing after classes begin.
    Board refunds or credits will be determined on a pro-rata basis.