Profiles

Alwood Gordy

Alwood was inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame in 1962. His citation is copied below:

Alwood C. Gordy, class of 1923, a native of Girdletree, Maryland was president of his class four years. As a student he was active in organizing the student council to which he was elected four years, serving as its president in his senior year. At the commencement exercises in June 1923 he was honored as the best all around senior.

Curt, a fine athlete played on the baseball and basket-ball varsity teams four years. In baseball he was a fine pitcher who when not in the box often played in the outfield because he was also a reliable hitter. He played professional baseball with the Baltimore Orioles, Washington Nationals and the Newark Bears as well as with Cambridge in the old Eastern Shore League.

In basketball he was an outstanding center who by his aggressive play off the backboards was an inspiration to his teammates. because of his leadership qualities he was elected captain of the team in his junior and senior years. Under his leadership the 1921-22 team won 11 games and lost 2 for the best record among Maryland Colleges for that year. The 1922-23 team won 18 and lost 2 games and was acknowledged to be the Maryland State Champions. The greatest achievement of the 1922-23 season was the victorious six day six game trip through Maryland, the District of Columbia and Virginia which thrust Washington College into national prominence and led Wilson Widget of the Baltimore Sun, in his reports of each game on that trip to refer to the squad as a “Flying Pentagon.”

Since his graduation Curt has spent most of his time in Florida as a citrus grower, cattle rancher, owned a fertilizer plant which he sold in 1950 to W. R. Grace and managed it until 1960. He helped to organize the Diamond Fertilizer Company and at the present time is chairman of its Board.

The Washington College Athletic Ha11 of Fame Committee is extremely proud to include Alwood Curt Gordy, one of the truly great athletes of Washington College, into the ranks of its membership.

Inducted October 15, 1962.