* Dr. Matthew McCabe is now Department Chair with the end of my three-year term in July 2014. Related inquiries may go to - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D., Philosophy, Yale University
- M.Phil., Logic and Metaphysics, U. of St. Andrews (UK)
- B.A., Philosophy, Marquette University
Lecturer at Yale University and Fairfield Jesuit University, prior to 2001
Assistant Professor at WC 2001-2007
Associate Professor at WC 2007 - present
Department Chair, July 2011 - July 2014
Principal Advisor to WC Institute for Religion, Politics, and Culture, 2010 - present
Humanities Major Department Advisor, 2007 - present
Areas of Interest
- Philosophy of Religion
- Medieval Philosophy
- Christianity / Comparative Religions
- Analytic Philosophy
- Modern Philosophy
Philosophy of Religion, Medieval Philosophy, Modern Philosophy, Metaphysics and Epistemology, Logic, Analytic Philosophy, Existentialism, Comparative Religion (Judaism, Christianity, Islam), assorted Great Books courses.
- A book on the philosophical theology of Thomas Aquinas, Aquinas on Simplicity (Oxford: Peter Lang Publishers, 2008).
- “Happiness, Division, and the Self in Plato’s Symposium” in The Yearbook of Phenomenological Research 96 (January, 2008).
- “Memory and the Unity of the Imagination in Spinoza” in International Philosophical Quarterly (June, 2009)
- “Divine Simplicity” for the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, March 2011
- “Singular Cognition: Brief Remarks on Klima and Pini” in the Proceedings of the Society for Medieval Logic and Metaphysics (SMLM) Vol. 9, Ed. Gyula Klima and Alexander Hall (Cambridge, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011), 39-43.
- “Simplicity and Explanation in Aquinas’ God,” (2002), reprinted in Categories, and What is Beyond, Ed. Gyula Klima and Alexander Hall (Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011), 113-128.
Select Book Reviews:
- Regular reviewer for Review of Metaphysics journal, 2010-present
- Regular reviewer for Phi Beta Kappa Society’s The Key Reporter, 2012-present
Reviewof Eugene Thacker’s After life, in The Review of Metaphysics, Vol. LXV, No.2 (March, 2012).
Reviewof Charles Mott’s Biblical Ethics and Social Change for the journal Politics and Religion (August 2012).
Review of Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner’s Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness for The Phi Beta Kappa Society journal, The Key Reporter (July 2014).
- Edited book, Christian Philosophical Perspectives on Human Nature, (Peter Lang, early 2015). [co-edited with Joseph Prud’homme]
- Edited book of homilies by Jesuit theologian Fr. Richard Roach SJ, Faith, Love, and Mercy: Homilies in Catholic Life(Wipf & Stock Publishers, 2015).
- Edited book of works by Germain Grisez and Peter Ryan, SJ, on Ultimate End - Beautific Vision or God’s Kingdom(Peter Lang, early 2015).
- Article “Aquinas and Locke on Person and Resurrection,” published in Proceedings for Society of Medieval Logic and Metaphysics, forthcoming in 2015.
- Multiple forthcoming book reviews for Review of Metaphysics and Phi Beta Kappa.