1-Mattis Justo Quam
1-consectetur. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Praesent commodo cursus magna, vel scelerisque nisl consectetur et. Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit.
Reid Hall Fire Extinguished Quickly
CHESTERTOWN, MD—A fire in a third-floor dorm room of Reid Hall was quickly extinguished tonight after causing minor damage to the room. There were no injuries, and residential life staff expected no serious disruption for other students in the residence hall.
The event started when a lighting fixture on a wall shorted out, caught fire and began filling the dorm room with smoke. The occupant notified a Resident Assistant, who pulled the fire alarm to evacuate the building and notified Public Safety. Public Safety officer Thomas Knox doused the fire with a fire extinguisher. Local volunteer firefighters responded within minutes and cleared the floor of smoke.
Knox, who is a patrol supervisor for Public Safety, praised the students’ quick and responsible reactions in raising the alarm, notifying his office, and evacuating the building safely. “It was picture perfect in terms of the way the students responded,” he said.
Vice President for Student Affairs Xavier Cole expressed appreciation for the quick response of the students, Knox and other Public Safety officers, and local firefighters. “We were pleased with the way our emergency preparedness training was evidenced tonight,” he said. “Everyone did what they were supposed to do to keep the situation under control.”
He and residential life staffers were on site for several hours after the incident to address student concerns. One task was to find new temporary living spaces for the student whose room was damaged and several hallmates whose rooms will require extra cleaning.