Big Finish at Dad Vail
The Shoremen take second in the men’s collegiate quad and win the petite final in the frosh/novice four.
A second-place finish in the final of the men’s collegiate quad and a dominant performance in the petite final of the men’s frosh/novice four highlighted the Washington College men’s rowing team’s efforts at the Dad Vail Regatta, held last weekend on the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia.
How It Happened
- The Shoremen entered two boats in the men’s collegiate quad and the “A” and “B” boats finished third and fourth, respectively, in the first heat. The “A” boat finished in 8:00.235 to advance to the final, while the “B” boat finished in 9:17.011. Mercyhurst won the heat in 7:35.131, while Iona was second in 7:46.930.
- The Shoremen’s “A” quad then took second in the final in 6:25.534, finishing behind only Mercyhurst (6:17.217). Fairfield was third in 6:35.869, Ohio State fourth in 6:45.334, and Iona fifth in 6:47.041.
- The Shoremen’s novice four turned in the eighth-fastest time (and second-fastest among boats from Division III schools) in a 21-crew time trial to advance to the semifinals, completing the course in 7:02.978.
- The Shoremen’s novice four was then third in a semifinal in 7:53.254 to advance to the petite final. The Shoremen narrowly missed a spot in the grand final, finishing less than one second behind second-place Temple (7:52.442) in the semifinal. Michigan won the semifinal in 7:45.572. Fordham (8:13.762), Clarkson (8:16.615), and Alabama (8:33.963) rounded out the semifinal.
- The Shoremen’s novices won the petite final by over 12.5 seconds, posting a winning time of 6:57.987. Ohio State was second in 7:10.502, Case Western Reserve third in 7:13.949, Fordham fourth in 7:14.164, Wentworth Tech fifth in 7:17.354, and Maryland sixth in 7:18.609.
- Nate Bonsib finished fifth in his heat of the men’s collegiate single in 11:04.500 to advance to the third-level final. Michael Landuyt of RPI won the heat in 7:57.997, followed by Thomas Markewich of Brock in 8:05.115, Thomas Johnson of VCU in 8:08.139, Matthew Zachary of William & Mary in 10.03.432, Bonsib, and Emanuel Mouganis of Gordon in 12:17.869.
- Bonsib was second in the third-level final of the men’s collegiate single in 8:36.209. Georgia’s Grant Lanser won the race in 7:28.434, while Mouganis was third in 9:44.540.
Shoremen Boat Lineups
Frosh/Novice Four: Jack Lee (coxswain), Sean Curry (stroke), Max Moore (three), David Pitts (two), Ross Douglas (bow)
Quad “A”: Brook Yimer (stroke), Charlie Snyder (three), Evan Koch (two), Lee Potter (bow)
Quad “B”: Ian Parks (stroke), Ben Masclans (three), Eric Botti (two), Jack Maher (bow)
— courtesy of Washington College Athletics