Timeframe: 7-10 days
Increase the health benefits of okra while reducing the viscous texture.
- 1/2 pound okra
- several peeled garlic cloves
- horseradish or grape leaves (for tannins)
- 1 tbsp salt
- mason jar
- fermentation weight (glass weight, silicone baking cup, etc.)
- Fill jar about 1/4 full with filtered water and dissolve salt to make brine.
- Stack okra in jar without breaking (breakage will result in slimy brine).
- Place garlic and horseradish or grape leaves around okra, then top with filtered water.
- Leave at room temperature for 7-10 days, at which point the brine will change color with the shift in acidity.
- Eat whole okra pods and garlic, or store in refrigerator for long-term use. Enjoy!