Coronavirus Update: Washington College responds to coronavirus outbreak. More Info

Emergency Guidelines

What to Do in an Emergency

Call for Help

Call 9-911 from campus phones for any situation that requires an immediate response from police, fire or medical authorities to preserve life or property. If calling from a cell phone give your location as Washington College, in Chestertown in Kent County. (Many cell phone 911 calls go to a call center not located near by.)

Report Everything 

Any emergency or incident should also be reported to Public Safety at 410-778-7810. The Washington College Department of Public Safety works with local police and fire agencies to respond to all emergency situations on campus including fire, accident/illness, crime, hazardous spills/gas leaks, and bomb threats.

Check the Website

Unless electrical power or electronic communication is unavailable following a major storm or emergency, the Washington College web site will be the official source for information and regular updates will be posted there. The College will also use WAC Alerts to send emergency communications to the campus community.

Check Your Building

Should telephone and electronic communication be interrupted, information fliers will be posted on first floor bulletin boards around campus, in the residence halls, and at entrances to key buildings when and where possible. WAC Alerts will still send messages to registered phones, including cell phones and email addresses, despite power failures. All members of the College community are encouraged to register their personal cell phones in the WAC Alerts system. Individuals who are signed up for LiveSafe, our mobile safety app, may also receive emergency broadcasts.

Information contained in this site is based on emergency procedure guidelines from Washington College and also adapted from guidelines at Smith College, University of Richmond and Cornell University.