Washington College has Professional Development School (PDS) partnerships with three local public school districts: Kent, Queen Anne’s, and Cecil Counties.
A PDS is a school where students complete extensive internships as a part of a learning community and share responsibility with school faculty for the academic performance of their students. School-based Mentor Teachers share responsibility with College faculty for the clinical performance of interns.
In Maryland, interns completing a PDS experience spend a minimum of 100 days over two consecutive semesters engaged in the school community learning to teach and having experiences with students of diverse backgrounds and abilities. Interns are also expected to document mastery of professional standards for beginning teachers by developing a professional portfolio based on the Maryland Essential Dimensions of Teaching.
Internship placements are made by the College PDS Liaison and the school Site Coordinators.
Professional Development Schools
- H. H. Garnet Elementary School
- Kent County Middle School
- Kent County High School
Queen Anne’s County
- Sudlersville Elementary School
- Sudlersville Middle School
- Church Hill Elementary School
- Centreville Middle School
- Queen Anne’s County High School
- Bohemia Manor Middle School
- Bohemia Manor High School