Gamma Sigma Epsilon
The Gamma Eta Chapter of Gamma Sigma Epsilon National Honor Society in Chemistry, installed April 6, 2011, recognizes students demonstrating exceptional ability and interest in the field of chemistry.
The following criteria shall be used as guideline requirements for membership:
- Candidates for membership in the Chapter will have met the following requirements:
- at least 20 hours of chemistry courses at Washington College, normally to consist of CHE 111/112, CHE 201/202, and any CHE 300 level course usually consisting of: CHE 301, 305, 306, 309, 311, 314. Credit bearing internships with the designation of CHE will also count towards the overall credit hours. AP credit for CHE 111/112 may be used as part of the 20 hours of chemistry courses.
- a minimum grade point average of 3.3 in all chemistry courses and an overall GPA of at least 3.2.
- Transfer students shall be eligible for membership after one semester at Washington College in which they have taken at least one chemistry course, if they also meet the other requirements for membership.
- Transfer students who were members of a GSE chapter at another school will immediately become members of the Chapter upon their request and payment of the $10 Chapter initiation fee.
- A rising senior whose academic record in chemistry is satisfactory for the preceding year and who has made a significant contribution to the department, but whose overall scholastic average is slightly below that required for membership, may also be elected to membership by a majority vote of the Chapter members.
- Outstanding alumni and faculty who have made a positive impact on the Chapter, department, or the field of chemistry may be elected to membership as Honorary Members.