Anthropology students! Use the style guides of the professional organizations for all of your papers and senior theses. For cultural anthropology use the AAA Style Guide and for archaeology use the SAA Style Guide.
Anthropological periodicals available at Miller Library and through the library’s online databases:
- American Anthropologist
- American Antiquity
- American Indian Culture and Research Journal
- American Ethnologist
- Anthropology Newsletter
- Choice: recent book reviews
- Cultural Anthropology
- Cultural Survival Quarterly
- Current Anthropology
- Ethnobotany Research and Applications
- Ethos: Journal of the Society for Psychological Anthropology
- Human Organization: Journal of the Society for Applied Anthropology
- Journal of Archaeological Method and Theory
- Journal of Anthropological Research
- Journal of Archaeological Research
- Journal of Archaeological Science
- Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute
- Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society
- World Archaeology
Ethnographic Research Aids
Ethnographer’s Toolkit, edited by Jean J. Schensul and Margaret D. LeCompte. 1999. Walnut Creek, California: Altamira Press. This “toolkit” is a series of seven volumes to help you design ethnographic research and analyze data. It is available in the Miller Library.
DeWalt, Kathleen M. and Billie R. DeWalt. 2001. Participant Observation: A Guide for Fieldworkers. Walnut Creek, California: Altamira Press.
Emerson, Robert M. 2001. Contemporary Field Research: Perspectives and Formulations, second edition. Prospect Heights, Illinois: Waveland Press.
Spradley, James P. 1979. The Ethnographic Interview. Fort Worth, Texas: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich College Publishers.
Spradley, James P. and David W. McCurdy. 1972. The Cultural Experience: Ethnography in Complex Society. Prospect Heights, Illinois: Waveland Press.
Sunstein, Bonnie Stone and Elizabeth Chiseri-Strater. 2002. Fieldworking: Reading and Writing Research, second edition. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin’s.
Wolcott, Harry F. 1999. Ethnography: A Way of Seeing. Walnut Creek, California: Altamira Press.