5 required courses
- ECN 112 Principles of Microeconomics
- BUS 109 Managerial Statistics (or equivalent: MAT 109, PSY 209, ECN 215)
- BUS 111 Principles of Marketing
- BUS 223 Marketing Research Methods
- BUS 323 Consumer Behavior
2 Elective Courses
Students must complete at least two marketing electives - one must be in Business Management (8 credits). Offerings vary by semester. Please note that courses offered outside of BUS may have various pre-requisites; check with instructors before registering.
- BUS 224 Digital Marketing
- BUS 351 Advertising
- BUS 352 International Marketing
- BUS 294/394 Special Topics in Marketing
- BUS 497 Independent Study in Marketing (with permission of the Director of the minor)
- ART 251 Visual & Critical Thinking
- ART 291 Introductory Video + New Media Studio
- CMS 205 Persuasion: The User Experience
- CMS 220 Global Media and Technology
- PSY 221 Social Psychology
Other courses may apply with permission of the Director. Permission must be sought prior to any coursework being completed, as credit may not be awarded retroactively.
We strongly encourage Marketing minors to participate in extracurricular activities that will supplement and reinforce the concepts and principles that they learn inside the classroom. Some of these opportunities are identified below.
American Marketing Association
Open to all students, regardless of whether they are BUS majors or MKT minors—all you need is an interest in marketing (even if that means marketing yourself in the labor market after college). Students have, in past semesters, participated in the AMA Collegiate Case Competition (bringing home an Honorable Mention commendation), celebrated “Marketing Week” in October, and in Spring 2019, a delegation of six students attended the AMA Collegiate Conference in New Orleans for the very first time!
To learn more, contact club advisor Georgina Bliss, or visit the chapter’s web page.
WAC students routinely secure marketing-oriented internships within a diverse range of firms and organizations. Please consult with the Center for Career Development to find out how to locate opportunities, and speak to Prof. Lansing Williams if interested in pursuing a marketing-oriented internship for BUS academic credit.
Note: For-credit internships intended to serve as a MKT elective must be approved in advance by the Director of the Minor or the BUS Department Chair.
Alpha Mu Alpha
Graduating senior Marketing minors with a minimum overall GPA of 3.25 are eligible for initiation into Alpha Mu Alpha, the national marketing honorary for qualified undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral marketing students, as well as marketing faculty.
Eligible seniors will be invited to accept this honorary in the latter half of their final semester by the Director of the Minor, who administers the honorary for WAC.