The 100 Proof Annual Student Artwork Exhibition is Kohl Gallery’s annual showcase of artworks created by Washington College students from all majors.
Held each year in the Spring, the 100 Proof Annual Student Artwork Exhibition highlights a broad range of artworks from both traditional and experimental mediums, processes and concepts. A call for artwork submissions is issued each February, and selections are made by a guest juror; recent jurors have included notable artists, curators, gallerists and other arts professionals from Baltimore, Washington DC, and further afield.
Kohl Gallery is pleased to announce the 2020 Call for Artworks for the 100 Proof Annual Student Artwork Exhibition.
Deadline for submissions is Thursday, March 5 at 11:59PM
Kohl Gallery’s annual 100 Proof Juried Student Art Exhibition is open for submissions from all Washington College students. Selected works will be exhibited from April 3 - April 15, with a public opening reception on April 3 from 4:30-6:30PM. This year’s exhibit is open to all mediums and themes, and all Washington College students from all majors are encouraged to apply. Experimental and ephemeral forms, including proposals for installation and performance art, are also encouraged. Artistic collaborations are welcome.
The 2020 100 Proof Exhibition will be juried by professional artist, Kyle Hackett (http://www.kylehackettstudio.com/). Hackett is a Kent County native, born in Still Pond. He earned his MFA in Painting from the Hoffberger School of Painting at Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) and his BFA in Fine Arts, as a McNair Scholar from the University of Delaware. His paintings explore race, class and social standing through approaches to self-representation and the constructed image. He has received numerous awards, his work has been written about in national publications, and he currently teaches at both MICA in Baltimore and American University in Washington DC. He recently spoke at Washington College and his solo exhibition, Spirits Rejoice is on view through the end of February at Sumner Hall in downtown Chestertown.
Final selections will be based on the following criteria: artwork quality (the most important criteria); clarity of submitted images; and logistical feasibility.
- You may submit up to four artworks for consideration.
- Artworks must be submitted as digital images. Ensure that the following image criteria are met:
- images clearly depict artwork against a neutral background with minimal distractions
- you may submit one additional detail image per artwork if needed
- all images should be sized to approximately 6”x8” at 72dpi, max 1MB per image
- all images should be saved as .jpg
- name images with your name and the number that corresponds to the artwork submission form (i.e., JaneArtist_1.jpg, JaneArtist_1detail.jpg, JaneArtist_2.jpg, etc.)
- Submit all images and completed Submission Form as a Word doc in a single email to email@example.com. Please use ’100 PROOF SUBMISSION – YourFirstName LastName’ as the email subject line (i.e., 100 PROOF SUBMISSION – Jane Artist)
*Before preparing your submission, please consult the TIMELINE below and be certain that you can meet all of the deadlines that come with being part of the exhibition.
Submissions are due by midnight, Thursday March 5, 2020
Applications due by MIDNIGHT (Thursday) – no extensions!!
Selections announced via email
10am to 4:00pm: Installation/Work Drop Off at Kohl (students will be alerted as to whether they need to install or drop-off their work in their acceptance email)
April 1 & 2:
10:00am to 4:00pm: Installation at Kohl (students will be alerted as to whether they need to install or drop-off their work in their acceptance email)
Exhibition opens with Opening Reception 4:30-6:30pm.
April 16 & 17:
10:00am to 4:00pm: De-installation (everything must be removed from the gallery by the end of the day on the 17th - no exceptions!)