What is Title IX?
Title IX benefits both females and males, and is at the heart of efforts to create gender equitable schools. The law requires educational institutions to maintain policies, practices and programs that do not discriminate against anyone based on sex.
Title IX states:
“No person in the U.S. shall, on the basis of sex be excluded from participation in, or denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity receiving federal aid.”
Examples of the types of conduct that violates Title IX include, but are not limited to:
- Pressure for sexual activity
- Sexual innuendos and comments
- Sexually explicit questions
- Requests for sexual favors
- Unwelcome touching, hugging, stroking, squeezing
- Spreading rumors about a person’s sexuality
- Sexual ridicule
- Displaying or sending sexually suggestive electronic content, including but not limited to emails, text messages, etc.
- Pervasive displays of pictures, calendars, cartoons, or other materials with sexually explicit or graphic content
- Stalking a person
- Attempted or actual sexual violence
Title IX Coordinator:
Oversees all complaints of sex discrimination and identifying and addressing any patterns or systemic problems that arise during the review of such complaints. The Title IX Coordinator is the central repository of Title IX knowledge on the campus, and is responsible for the design and implementation of education around Title IX for Washington College.
Darnell T. Parker, Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Multicultural Affairs (410) 810-7457 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Title IX Coordinator(s):
Reports to the Title IX Coordinator and serve as support to the Title IX Coordinator. Each Assistant Title IX Coordinator assists in responding and receiving inquiries from students, faculty, staff, and administrators, conduct investigations, as well as the design and implementation of education around Title IX for the Washington College.
Kimberly Lassard, Senior Women’s Administrator/Athletics (410) 778-7241 or email@example.com
Sue Golinski, Operations Supervisor, Public Safety (410) 778-7810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Anthony Hall, Employment and Compensation Coordinator/Human Resources (410) 778-7260 or email@example.com