Washington College Office of Information Technologies created a Gaming Group on the college network. The group has unrestricted access to the network and to the Internet only for competitive interactive game playing purposes and for official college work. Because of the access level that is granted to this group some rules must apply.
In order to be allowed into the Gaming group on the Washington College network it is necessary to agree to, and comply with, the following conditions:
- OIT will monitor the activity of the group to ensure compliance with the requirements and the conditions of the contract.
- Gaming may be used only on the wired (Ethernet) network. It will not work on wireless.
- All personal computers in the gaming group must have current antivirus software (available free from the HelpDesk) installed and running. Antivirus definitions must be set to automatically download and update regularly, at least once per week.
- All personal computers in the gaming group must be kept current with operating system (e.g., Windows/Macintosh) updates and patches. Operating system updates must be set to automatically download from the Web site appropriate to the operating system of the computer.
- All games played must be legally licensed to the user.
- All persons accepted into the gaming group acknowledge that it is understood that no level of available bandwidth to the Internet is guaranteed.
Failure to comply with the rules stated above by, for example, using Peer-to-Peer software such as Limewire, sharing copyrighted music, video, or game files, causing an outbreak of computer virus(es), etc., will result in immediate removal from the group.
Any portion of this policy is subject to change. You will be notified in advance, but you should be aware that changes to the policy might be implemented.
Students interested in campus gaming should contact the HelpDesk at 410-778-7777 for further information.