Washington Signature
[ Search and Navigation ]   [ View Full Site ]
Offices & Services

Office of Student Financial Aid

Private Scholarships

Private scholarship money constitutes an award that is not funded by the government or Washington College. Sources can include corporations, nonprofit organizations, civic and professional associations, sports teams and foundations.
We encourage all students to research and apply for scholarships. Private scholarships are available throughout the year.

Getting Started

Looking for scholarships will take time, but the rewards can be great. The best advice is to use common sense and…

  • Don’t Wait. Do the Research - start early, search often! Don’t wait until the night before the deadline to fill out your application. Start early and make a commitment to apply often.
  • Get organized - Keep track of your applications and    their deadlines. Polish up your resume. Clean up your social media profile by removing inappropriate and immature material.
  • Be Yourself! - Make sure that you demonstrate who you really are and what you are truly passionate about.
  • It’s not about the Quantity of things you’ve accomplished, it’s about the QUALITY, it’s about what you learned, and it’s about your potential to use those experiences to affect the future.
  • Stay Positive - Be creative,be upbeat, and keep working to find the right scholarship for you.

Always beware of scholarship scams. A good rule of thumb is: “If you have to pay money to get money, it’s probably a scam.”


Will a private scholarship affect my current financial aid?

If you receive need-based financial aid, a private scholarship will affect your aid if the total of all your aid exceeds your total cost of attendance. You would then be considered to be “over awarded” and your award will be reduced to make room for the outside funds. Whenever possible, the Office of Student Financial Aid will reduce loan and work study awards before reducing grant and scholarship awards.  

Where should I send my private scholarship award check? Please send checks and supporting information (include the student’s name and WC ID number, award name, amount, and year/term applicable) to: Office of Student Financial Aid,300 Washington Avenue, Chestertown, MD 21620



Still need help?  Make an appointment with the financial aid office. We can help you with more search tips and strategies. You can reach us at 410-778-7214 or by email at fa_office@washcoll.edu.




Washington College does not routinely screen, approve, review, or endorse the content, products, or services that may be posted.  All off-site links are provided as a courtesy.  Please be advised that some of the links use social media applications and use of these websites is subject to privacy rules and policies of those web site operators