The purpose of the Sick Leave Pool is to establish an equitable way of allowing employees to share their accumulated sick leave with others in need of additional sick leave until the employee is eligible for the College’s short-term and long-term disability programs.
The intent of this program is to protect benefit eligible employees who may face financial hardship because they have exhausted all of their own vacation, sick, or personal leave due to an extended serious, catastrophic, or unforeseen illness, injury or impairment.
All benefit eligible employees who accrue and use sick leave, are eligible to become a member and donate to and withdraw from the Sick Leave Pool. This program is not available to temporary employees who do not earn leave.
1. To become a member, benefit eligible employees are required to contribute at least one sick day to the sick leave pool. The contribution of at least one sick day on July 1st of each fiscal year will establish membership in the pool.
2. Membership and contributions to the sick leave pool are voluntary.
3. Contributions to the sick leave pool will be accepted in July of each year. If the balance of the available sick leave pool days falls below an amount that the Director of Human Resources deems prudent, the Director may authorize a special contribution period. Human Resources will announce the exact dates each year for contribution(s).
4. The Office of Human Resources or the Chief of Staff, if applicable, will be responsible for guarding the privacy of sick leave pool recipients and donors. Communications will be kept confidential between all parties.
5. Contributions will be accepted by completing a Sick Leave Pool Donation Form available on the Human Resources webpage. A benefit eligible employee may contribute a minimum of one day up to a maximum of ten sick days per fiscal year.
6. Any participating employee may request a withdrawal. All requests for withdrawal from the Sick Leave Pool must be made in advance of anticipated use.
7. Withdrawals from the Sick Leave Pool are permitted only for serious, catastrophic, or unforeseen illness, injury or impairment of the employee that meets the following criteria. The employee must have exhausted all vacation, sick, personal leave and the employee will have to take leave without pay and (b) requires continuing treatment or supervision by a licensed health care provider, and also (c) requires absence from work of at least five days per illness or episode.
8. Withdrawals from the Sick Leave Pool may only be taken in increments of full days.
9. Withdrawals may only occur to the extent of the Sick Leave Pool contributions available for withdrawal and the beneficiary has no leave time available.
10. A participating employee who is receiving workers’ compensation, short term disability, long-term disability or benefits from the College’s Maternity/Adoption Policy may not withdraw from the Sick Leave Pool.
11. A participating employee may not withdraw more than 30 days per illness, injury, or condition. If an employee anticipates being unable to work, the employee should contact Human Resources regarding the College’s short-term disability policy.
12. A participating employee receiving sick leave days from the pool will not accrue additional leave for those days.
13. At the end of any fiscal year, all Sick Leave Pool hours are carried forward to the next year.
14. The administration of the policy and approval of Sick Leave Pool withdrawals are the responsibility of the Office of Human Resources.
15. At termination of employment, sick leave is forfeited, therefore all employees are eligible to donate their unused sick hours to the sick leave pool. During the Exit Interview an employee may complete a Sick Leave Pool Donation form. Employees are eligible to donate up to 80 hours to the Sick Leave Pool at termination of employment. Once the Sick Leave Pool Donation form is received the hours will be credited to the Sick Leave Pool.
1. The Director of Human Resources will notify all employees of the open contribution period for the Sick Leave Pool.
2. Benefit eligible employees must complete a Sick Leave Pool Donation form and submit to the Office of Human Resources. Participants must contribute a minimum of 1 day and up to 10 days per year in full day increments to become a member.
3. New benefit eligible participants will be immediately eligible to become a member and join the pool after they have accumulated at least one day of Sick Leave to contribute.
4. Sick leave contributions will be deducted from the contributing employee’s accumulated sick leave balance after the open contribution period closes.
5. The Sick Leave Pool Request form must be accompanied by an FMLA Certification of a Health Care Provider verifying the nature and expected duration of the illness or injury. If an employee is incapacitated, a family member or designee may request leave from the Sick Leave Pool on the employee’s behalf with medical documentation.
6. Sick Leave Pool Request should be submitted to the Office of Human Resources for approval.
7. The Director of Human Resources will review the nature of the illness, anticipated duration as indicated by the licensed health care provider’s statement, the number of days requested to be withdrawn then make a determination of the number of days to be withdrawn. In making the decision, the Director shall be guided by the facts underlying the request, the available days in the Sick Leave Pool, and other factors that the Director may deem relevant to the decision. If the member is released to return to work prior to the expected date, the unused days will remain in the pool.
8. In the case of an appeal, all information will be submitted to the Chief of Staff who will then make a final decision.
9. The decisions of the Director of Human Resources or the Chief of Staff shall be final and binding and are not subject to the College’s grievance procedure or litigation.
10. For questions regarding the Sick Leave Pool program, or to request a withdrawal, please contact the Benefits Administrator in the Office of Human Resources.