College Policies | Inclement Weather
The following procedures describe official policy for notifying the Washington College Community of closing or changes in our hours of operation due to inclement weather.
- The decision for an early release, a delayed opening, or a closed day will be based solely on the conditions on campus. The campus will be open unless the snow, ice or other conditions make it impossible for the campus to operate safely.
- Announcements of an early release will be made by the Office of the Sr. Vice President for Finance and Management.
- Announcements of a closing or delayed opening will be broadcast as early as possible—we will try to make the decision by 5:00 A.M.—on WBAL-AM radio (1090 on your dial) and WBAL-TV, Baltimore, Channel 11. These are the two stations designated for primary official notification. Notification of closing or delayed opening will also be provided to television stations WMAR 2, WJZ 13, WTTG Fox 5, WJLA 7, WBOC 16, and radio stations WSCL 89.5 FM and WCTR 1530 AM.
- Weather related announcements will also be posted on the College’s web site home page at: www.washcoll.edu.
- In addition, the switchboard voice mail message will be changed to reflect a closing or delayed opening. You can reach the switchboard by dialing (410) 778-2800.
- Should a delayed opening be announced, you should double-check one of these sources before leaving for work in case that announcement has been “upgraded” to a closing.