Washington College is piloting a new wireless authentication tool called ClearPass.
When are we rolling out ClearPass?
- The pilot phase is expected to begin Wednesday, June 15 and will include the following buildings:
- William Smith
- Miller Library
Why are we changing?
- We’re transitioning away from Captive Portal to the new ClearPass tool to provide “device based” authentication. This will allow your mobile WiFi device to be connected to the college WiFi system across campus and stay enabled for up to 90 days.
- ClearPass also allows for easier Guest Access. Washington College guests can request and receive login access on their own, any time. The Guest Access account is good for 7 days and the connection is valid up to 12 hours.
What are the improvements?
Ease of connectionClearPass allows all members of the WC campus community to connect their WiFi devices to the College wireless networks.
Length of “device authentication” timeOnce you connect your device to the WC WiFi network, that device will be recognized and connected for up to 90 days. Your device will remain authenticated as long as your password is valid. When your password is changed, your device will remain authenticated until forced to recheck authentication. This occurs if you disconnect/reconnect to WC Wireless.
Reliability of getting connected and staying connectedThe new ClearPass system is much more reliable at allowing an authenticated device to stay connected around campus without having to reconnect in different locations.
Please visit the following links for more information about connecting your wireless devices.
- Connecting on your Windows device
- Connecting on your Macintosh device
- Connecting on your iOS or Android device
Please contact the HelpDesk at 410-778-7777 if you have any further questions. You can also email the HelpDesk at email@example.com.