Smoking Cessation Program
Washington College Health Services is committed to improving health on the college campus by providing education, normalizing non-smoking, fostering healthier policies, and supporting tobacco users who wish to quit.
Health Services offers tobacco cessation support to all students who have the desire to quit using tobacco. Students may call to schedule an appointment for these services. During the initial visit, students receive counseling and information on the tobacco cessation medications available including Zyban, Nicoderm C. Q., and Commit Lozenges.
Health Services has a limited amount of funds set aside to be used for student cessation medications. If the student decides to use medication, a prescription is written. Chestertown Pharmacy, a local pharmacy, fills the prescription. Medications for this program are free until the funding is depleted. When this occurs, students will be instructed to check with their individual Health Insurance, for cessation medication coverage. The students receive another appointment for evaluation in two weeks. At this time they receive another prescription and additional cessation counseling. Students also receive Tobacco Cessation Kits and additional educational materials, including cessation resources.
Services Available For Faculty and Staff
Health Services has initiated quit smoking classes through the Kent County Health Department for staff and faculty. There have been two programs completed to date. The class is one day a week for five weeks and is located in the Washington College Dining Hall. In addition Kent County Health Department regularly offers classes and free cessation medication, in the Health Department building on Lynchburg Street. Mary Jo Carpenter is the contact person. Human Resources at Washington College is in the process of reviewing their United Health Care Plans to determine which cessation medications may be available in the plans.
Please contact Carol Thornton, R.N. to help you quit today! 410-778-7261
- “Journey of a Lifetime” (Designed for use by individual students in their quest to be smoke-free.)
Books available for loan
- Quitting Smoking For Dummies by David Brizer M.D.
- No Butts About It—How to Want to Stop Smoking by John Randolph Parker
Online Free Cessation Sites
- www.quitnet.com (This site features quizzes, information, life and money saved calculator and support from others trying to quit.)
- www.SmokingStopsHere.com (This site is offered by the state of Maryland.)
- www.trytostop.org (This is an interactive quiz wizard offered by the Massachusetts Department of Health
- www.stop-tabac.ch (Based on your answers to a questionnaire, the student will receive a personalized report in 10 seconds in the language of their choice.)
Pharmaceutical Company sites
Come and check out our program. Make your future tobacco-free!
Carol Thornton, R.N. Tobacco Cessation and Education Program Coordinator
Washington College Health Services (phone ext. 7261)