Smoking Cessation Program
Washington College Health Services is committed to improving health on the college campus by providing education, normalizing non-smoking, fostering healthier policies, and supporting tobacco users who wish to quit.
Health Services offers tobacco cessation support to all students, faculty or staff members who have the desire to quit using tobacco. Students may call to schedule an appointment for these services. Please contact Carol Thornton, R.N. to help you quit today! 410-778-7261
Smoking Cessation Classes
Free Stop Smoking Classes are offered at the Kent County Health Department every 5 weeks on Thursdays at 3:30-4:30 p.m. Classes are taught by trained Quit Coach, Mary Jo Carpenter. Class topics include the stages of quitting, triggers and understanding addiction, methods to quit, nutrition, and stress. Free Nicotine Replacement Therapy with patches, lozenges, gum, or Chantix is included in the class. For more information, contact Mary Jo Carpenter at 410-778-7028 or email@example.com , or come in to the Health Department to speak with her. She is available W-F 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Individual Consultation Talk to a professional tobacco counselor who specializes in tobacco dependence. Consultations are available by appointment only. Contact Mary Jo Carpenter at 410-778-7028 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
- “Journey of a Lifetime” (Designed for use by individual students in their quest to be smoke-free.)
Books available for loan
- Quitting Smoking For Dummies by David Brizer M.D.
- No Butts About It—How to Want to Stop Smoking by John Randolph Parker
Online Free Cessation Sites
- www.quitnet.com (This site features quizzes, information, life and money saved calculator and support from others trying to quit.)
- www.SmokingStopsHere.com (This site is offered by the state of Maryland.)
- www.makesmokinghistory.org (formerly www.trytostop.org) (This is an interactive quiz wizard offered by the Massachusetts Department of Health
- www.stop-tabac.ch (Based on your answers to a questionnaire, the student will receive a personalized report in 10 seconds in the language of their choice.)
Pharmaceutical Company sites
Come and check out our program. Make your future tobacco-free!
Carol Thornton, R.N. Tobacco Cessation and Education Program Coordinator
Washington College Health Services (phone ext. 7261)