J-1 Travel Regulations
Entering the US
- You may enter the US no more than 30 days prior to the program start date on your DS2019.
- When passing through immigration, you will be asked for your passport with I-94 card (the card you receive on the airplane) and your DS2019.
- If you are traveling prior to your initial entry and are planning to apply for a visa during your travels, please be aware that you can only apply for a visa in the country of which you are a citizen.
Traveling During Your Stay
- You may need a visa if traveling outside of the United States. You can find this information on embassy websites.
- Check to make sure your passport is valid
- Check to make sure your J-1 visa is valid
- Get the signature of the Responsible Officer on your DS2019 prior to travel outside the US
- If you have been registered in NSEERS, please ask the International Student Advisor about “Check-out Procedures.”
Departing the US
- Check to make sure your passport is valid.
- After completion of your program, you have a 30-day grace period during which you may remain in the US. This 30 day grace period begins on the day following the program end date on your DS2019. You should not leave the US and then try to re-enter the US during that 30 day grace period.
- If you have been registered in NSEERS, please ask your International Student Advisor about “Check-out Procedures.”