International Students Taxes
All International students are expected to file a statement with the US Government regarding their tax status every year they are a student.
It is your responsibility to file your taxes and form 8843. The Global Education Office does not prepare US Income tax forms, however there is usually free tax help available in Chestertown. Our office will make every effort to alert you to tax counseling in the local area. PLEASE NOTE:
- ALL INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS should file “Form 8843” even if they are not working?
- If you are working and Social Security taxes were withheld from your paycheck, you will need to file “Form 1040NR-EZ?”
- The deadline to file your taxes is April 15?
If you use a tax service you should bring the following materials to your appointment:
- Form 8843 (and 1040NR-EZ if you have worked and received income)
- pencil, pen
- I-94 or DS-2019
- Social Security Number
If you did not file taxes/8843 for past years, please call 1-800-829-1040 to request forms from past years. You may also access tax forms and information at www.irs.gov and searching for forms by number where it says “Forms and Publications.
Local tax professionals:
On Form 8843, you need to complete part I and part III.
- Exchange Students (J-1) - under question 10, use the Global Education Office and list Mary C. King as the Director
- Matriculating Students (F-1) - under question 10, use your academic major department and list the Chair of that department as the Director