Arrival and Transportation
New international students arrive to Washington College early for a special International Student Orientation.
This takes place 3 days before the all-college orientation in the fall semester and 1 day before the all-college orientation in the spring semester.
Please allow enough time at the Port of Entry when scheduling connecting flights. Please allow at least 3 hours for the CBP inspections at your entry point into the U.S.
Spring 2014 International Student Arrival Date: Wednesday, January 15
The Global Education Office will send students to pick you up from Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) on August 18, 2014. You need to make travel arrangements that will have you at the BWI airport on that day to arrive before 5:00 p.m. If you are unable to arrive in that time frame you will need to arrive the night before and stay in a hotel near the airport and take the shuttle to the airport in the morning to meet our drivers.
In case of emergency, please contact:
- Kate McCleary, Director of Global Education 410-810-7470
- Theresa Capule, Assistant Director of International Student Services Office: 410-778-7762 and Cell: 443-282-6734
- Public Safety 410-778-7810
Please have these numbers with you at all times
From points north
Take I-95 South to Middletown/Route 896 exit. Route 896 merges with Route 301 South. Take Galena exit (Route 290 South) and turn right. At stoplight go straight onto Route 213 South. In Chestertown – our address is 409 Washington Avenue.
From points northwest
Exit I-95 at Northeast, Maryland, and continue on Route 40 to Route 213 South in Elkton. In Chestertown, Route 213 becomes Washington Avenue; our address is 409 Washington Avenue.
From points west
Take route of your choice to Routes 50/301 East and follow signs for Bay Bridge/Annapolis. On the Eastern Shore continue on Routes 50/301 until they diverge in Queenstown and proceed North on Route 301. Exit Route 301 at Route 213 and proceed north. In Chestertown, Route 213 becomes Washington Avenue; our address is 409 Washington Avenue.
From points south
Take either the Washington Beltway (I-495), I-95, or Route 301 to Routes 50/301 East. Exit Route 301 at Route 213 and proceed north. In Chestertown, Route 213 becomes Washington Avenue; our address is 409 Washington Avenue.
Washington College provides a shuttle to the College for all new international students.
To take advantage of the shuttle service, you must:
- Fill out the Arrival Information Sheet and email it to Theresa Capule, firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax it to 410-810-7451 to reserve your spot on the shuttle by Monday, January 6, 2014. You will receive an email with your scheduled shuttle time by Friday, January 10, 2014.
- Fly into Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) on the designated arrival day.
- You need to arrive at BWI before 4:00 pm (16:00)* on the designated day for that semester, normally the first day of International Student Orientation.
- Meet the representative from the Global Education Office at the Hospitality Counter in BWI.
The Hospitality Counter is located on the Lower Level (Level 1) click for map.
If you arrive at BWI on a domestic flight, you will walk past baggage claim areas 13-14 towards the International Arrivals terminal. The Counter is about half-way along the corridor.
If you arrive at BWI on an international flight, you will enter through the international terminal and will pass through customs. When you exit customs, walk towards the outside entrance of the Terminal. Turn left towards Baggage Claim 13-14. The Counter is about half-way along the corridor.
*If you are unable to find a flight before 4:00pm on the designated pick up day, then you need to arrive earlier and stay at an airport hotel to take advantage of the college shuttle. You will need to return to BWI before your scheduled shuttle time and meet at the Hospitality Counter.