Become a Notetaker
A notetaker is a student who is able to attend a specific course and take notes for another student who has an academic accommodation.
By taking notes, the notetaker is helping a student in need, as well as enhancing their own academic skills. This is a very important job because students with academic accommodations are offered notetakers in the classroom to assist in obtaining all relevant classroom discussion in order to improve the opportunity for success. Notetakers are paid a stipend of $150 for each course for which they take notes. This stipend is paid in three installments ($50 each) throughout the semester. Notetakers are hired on an “as needed” basis and will only receive a stipend for the month(s) in which they take notes.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and a good working rapport with the professor and the OAS.
- Excellent attendance and on-time arrival.
- Good organization and listening skills, i.e., being able to attend to and record all lecture details.
- Ability to write legibility.
- Be in good academic standing.
- Complete Online Application.
- Take a self-directed online notetaking preparation training course (http://www.pepnet.org/e-learning/notetaker), take the corresponding quiz, and turn in the completion certificate to the OAS before or within one week of employment.
- Submit a sample of their notes from any course with their training certificate.
Procedures for Notetaking
- On each page of notes, please type or write the date and course(prefix/number/section) of the notes.
- Type notes (preferred) or write legibly, preferably in pen.
- Write down all assignments and due dates, also anything written on the board.
- Write down the primary and secondary points, any key terms or concepts.
- Submit a copy of your notes by Friday of each week in one of the following ways:
(a) Send a digital copy of typed notes in either .DOC or .PDF format via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(b) Scan a copy of the notes on your own to email@example.com.
(c) Come to the OAS and use the office copier to scan notes and send them using the copier to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, email or call us at 410-778-7860.