Course Mentor Employment
COURSE MENTOR JOB OPENINGS FALL 13
BIO 111: 16,17,18
PSY 111: 11
What is a Course Mentor?
A Course Mentor assists students in understanding course material and interpreting lecture notes. Course Mentors attend all class meetings of the designated course, take notes, and more. This will ensure that the Course Mentor is on the same page as the students he/she is helping. Study sessions will be weekly through the duration of the semester. Regular meetings, along with orientation and training workshops, with the Assistant Director of OAS are mandatory. If necessary, Course Mentors will hold extra study sessions (prior to examinations).
- New Course Mentors will be responsible for attending training orientation prior to semester and monthly semester meetings.
- Meeting weekly with the professor on planning and organizing of material for sessions.
- Course Mentors need to be able to communicate effectively to students about the availability of study sessions.
- Responsible for turning in necessary weekly paperwork concerning data analysis of weekly sessions.
- Above all, Course Mentors must model professional behavior to students and staff and handle issues such as class standards, grades, and student complaints in an appropriate manner.
Prior enrollment with and a grade of “A” or “B” in the target course is required.
In order to confirm student competency, a faculty recommendation is mandatory.
Good interpersonal and communication skills are required.
Please contact Lindsay Sears for more information on how to be a Course Mentor!