Associate Professor of English and American Studies
- B.A., Spelman College, 1993
- M.A., Rutgers University, 1995
- M.Phil., Drew University 2001
- Ph.D., Drew University, 2004
- Pauline Hopkins and the American Dream: An African American Writer’s (Re)Visionary Gospel of Success. Knoxville: Univ. of Tennessee Press, 2012.
Read Press Release Here
- “To Be a Publisher: Lillian Jones Horace and the Dotson –Jones Printing Company.” Recovering Five Generations Hence: The Life and Writing of Lillian Jones Horace. Ed. Karen Kossie-Chernyshev. College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 2013.
- “‘To have the benefit of some special machinery’: African American Book Publishing and Bookselling, 1900-1920.” U.S. Popular Print Culture, 1860-1920. Ed. Christine Bold. Oxford: Oxford University Press 2012.
- “Booker T. Washington.” The Literary Encyclopedia. 17 July 2009. http://www.litencyc.com/php/speople.php?rec-true&UID=4618.
- “‘All Things Work Together For Good’: Pauline Hopkins’s Race Woman and the Gospel of Success.” Loopholes and Retreats: African American Writers and the Nineteenth Century. Ed. John Cullen Gruesser and Hanna Wallinger. Berlin: Lit Verlag, 2009. 125-140.
- “Furnace Blasts for the Tuskegee Wizard: Revisiting Pauline E. Hopkins, Booker T. Washington and the Colored American Magazine.” American Periodicals 17.1 (2007): 41-64.
- “Ebony,” “Aretha Franklin,” and “Carolivia Herron” in Oxford Companion to African American Literature. Ed. William Andrews, Frances Smith Foster, and Trudier Harris. New York: Oxford UP, 1997.
- “One and One Make One: A Metacritical and Psychoanalytic Reading of Friendship in Toni Morrison’s Sula.” College Language Association Journal 37.2 (1993): 145-155.
Work in Progress
- Racing Into The Publishing Marketplace (A study of late 19th- and early 20th-century African American book publishing practices)
- African American Literature
- African American Novel
- The Harlem Renaissance
- The Gilded Age and American Literary Realism
- The History of the Book in America (Print Culture)
- Literature and Composition