ON RESEARCH LEAVE Spring 2014 -
For all administrative and academic inquiries please contact
Prof. M. McCabe, Acting Chair, email@example.com
- Ph.D., Philosophy, Yale University
- M.Phil., Logic and Metaphysics, University of St. Andrews, UK
- B.A., Philosophy, Marquette University
Lecturer at Yale University and Fairfield Jesuit University, prior to 2001
Assistant Professor at WC 2001-2007
Associate Professor at WC 2007 - present
Chair of Dept., July 2011 - July 2014
Principal Advisor to WC Institute for Religion, Politics, and Culture, 2010 - present
Humanities Major Board and Advisor, 2007 - present
Areas of Interest
- Philosophy of Religion
- Medieval Philosophy
- Christianity / Comparative Religion
- Modern Philosophy
- Analytic Philosophy
Philosophy of Religion, Medieval Philosophy, Modern Philosophy, Metaphysics and Epistemology, Logic, Analytic Philosophy, Existentialism, Comparative Religion (Judaism, Christianity, Islam), Christian Themes, Readings in Utopia, and assorted Great Books courses.
Select recent works
- A book on the philosophical theology of Thomas Aquinas, Aquinas on Simplicity (Oxford: Peter Lang Publishers, 2008).
- “Happiness, Division, and the Self in Plato’s Symposium” in The Yearbook of Phenomenological Research 96 (January, 2008).
- “Memory and the Unity of the Imagination in Spinoza” in International Philosophical Quarterly (June, 2009).
- A review of Martin De Nys’s Considering Transcendence appearing in The Review of Metaphysics, Vol. 52, No.4 (September, 2009).
- “Divine Simplicity” as an entry for the peer-reviewed Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, March 2010.
- A review of Paul Kirkland’s Nietzsche’s Noble Aims in The Review of Metaphysics, Vol. 53, No.4 (June, 2010).
- “Singular Cognition: Brief Remarks on Klima and Pini” in the Proceedings of the Society for Medieval Logic and Metaphysics, Vol. 9, Ed. Gyula Klima and Alexander Hall (Cambridge, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011), 39-43.
- “Simplicity and Explanation in Aquinas’ God,” in the 2002 SMLM Proceedings, was recently reprinted in a new version of the proceedings, in Categories, and What is Beyond, Ed. Gyula Klima and Alexander Hall (Cambridge, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011), 113-128.
- A review of Eugene Thacker’s After life, in The Review of Metaphysics, Vol. LXV, No.2 (March, 2012).
Most recent and forthcoming
- An edited book of papers by Germain Grisez and Peter Ryan, S.J., Ultimate End - Beaufic Vision or God’s Kingdom (Peter Lang, forthcoming Fall 2013).
- An edited book, Christian Philosophical Perspectives on Human Nature, (Peter Lang, forthcoming Spring 2014).
- An edited book of homilies by Richard Roach S.J., slated forthcoming in 2014 with Wipf & Stock Publishers.