* Please note Dr. Matthew McCabe is Department Chair as of July 2014.
Related inquiries may be sent to him at - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D., Philosophy, Yale University
- M.Phil., Logic and Metaphysics, University of St. Andrews (UK)
- B.A., Philosophy, Marquette University
Lecturer at Yale University and Fairfield Jesuit University, prior to 2001
Assistant Professor at WC 2001-2007
Associate Professor at WC 2007 - present
Department Chair, July 2011 - July 2014
Principal Advisor to WC Institute for Religion, Politics, and Culture, 2010 - present
Humanities Major Board and Advisor, 2007 - present
Areas of Interest
- Philosophy of Religion
- Medieval Philosophy
- Christianity / Comparative Religion
- Analytic Philosophy
- Modern Philosophy
Philosophy of Religion, Medieval Philosophy, Modern Philosophy, Metaphysics and Epistemology, Logic, Analytic Philosophy, Existentialism, Comparative Religion (Judaism, Christianity, Islam), assorted Great Books courses.
Select recent work
- A book on the philosophical theology of Thomas Aquinas, Aquinas on Simplicity (Oxford: Peter Lang Publishers, 2008).
- “Happiness, Division, and the Self in Plato’s Symposium” in The Yearbook of Phenomenological Research 96 (January, 2008).
- “Memory and the Unity of the Imagination in Spinoza” in International Philosophical Quarterly (June, 2009)
- “Divine Simplicity” for the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, March 2010.
- A review of Paul Kirkland’s Nietzsche’s Noble Aims in The Review of Metaphysics, Vol. 53, No.4 (June, 2010).
- “Singular Cognition: Brief Remarks on Klima and Pini” in the Proceedings of the Society for Medieval Logic and Metaphysics (SMLM) Vol. 9, Ed. Gyula Klima and Alexander Hall (Cambridge, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011), 39-43.
- “Simplicity and Explanation in Aquinas’ God,” (2002), reprinted in Categories, and What is Beyond, Ed. Gyula Klima and Alexander Hall (Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011), 113-128.
- A review of Eugene Thacker’s After life, in The Review of Metaphysics, Vol. LXV, No.2 (March, 2012).
- Edited book with introduction, Christian Philosophical Perspectives on Human Nature, (Peter Lang, forthcoming Summer 2014). [co-edited with Joseph Prud’homme]
- Edited book of homilies by Jesuit theologian Fr. Richard Roach SJ, Faith, Love, and Mercy: Homilies in Catholic Life (Wipf & Stock Publishers, early 2015).
- Article “Aquinas and Locke on Person and Resurrection,” published in Proceedings for Society of Medieval Logic and Metaphysics, forthcoming in 2015.
- Multiple book reviews for Review of Metaphysics journal and Phi Beta Kappa Society ‘Life of the Mind’ series, forthcoming 2014-2015.