ON RESEARCH LEAVE Spring 2014 -
For administrative and academic inquiries please contact
Prof. M. McCabe, Acting Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D., Philosophy, Yale University
- M.Phil., Logic and Metaphysics, University of St. Andrews (UK)
- B.A., Philosophy, Marquette University
Lecturer at Yale University and Fairfield Jesuit University, prior to 2001
Assistant Professor at WC 2001-2007
Associate Professor at WC 2007 - present
Department Chair, July 2011 - July 2014
Principal Advisor to WC Institute for Religion, Politics, and Culture, 2010 - present
Humanities Major Board and Advisor, 2007 - present
Areas of Interest
- Philosophy of Religion
- Medieval Philosophy
- Christianity / Comparative Religion
- Analytic Philosophy
- Modern Philosophy
Philosophy of Religion, Medieval Philosophy, Modern Philosophy, Metaphysics and Epistemology, Logic, Analytic Philosophy, Existentialism, Comparative Religion (Judaism, Christianity, Islam), Christian Themes, Readings in Utopia, & Great Books courses.
Select recent work
- A book on the philosophical theology of Thomas Aquinas, Aquinas on Simplicity (Oxford: Peter Lang Publishers, 2008).
- “Happiness, Division, and the Self in Plato’s Symposium” in The Yearbook of Phenomenological Research 96 (January, 2008).
- “Memory and the Unity of the Imagination in Spinoza” in International Philosophical Quarterly (June, 2009)
- “Divine Simplicity” for the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, March 2010.
- A review of Paul Kirkland’s Nietzsche’s Noble Aims in The Review of Metaphysics, Vol. 53, No.4 (June, 2010).
- “Singular Cognition: Brief Remarks on Klima and Pini” in the Proceedings of the Society for Medieval Logic and Metaphysics (SMLM) Vol. 9, Ed. Gyula Klima and Alexander Hall (Cambridge, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011), 39-43.
- “Simplicity and Explanation in Aquinas’ God,” (2002), reprinted inCategories, and What is Beyond, Ed. Gyula Klima and Alexander Hall (Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011), 113-128.
- A review of Eugene Thacker’s After life, in The Review of Metaphysics, Vol. LXV, No.2 (March, 2012).
- Edited book with introduction, of papers by Germain Grisez and Peter Ryan, S.J. : Ultimate End - Beaufic Vision or God’s Kingdom (Peter Lang, forthcoming 2014).
- Edited book with introduction, Christian Philosophical Perspectives on Human Nature, (Peter Lang, forthcoming Summer 2014).
- Edited book of homilies by Jesuit moral theologian Fr. Richard Roach (Wipf & Stock Publishers, late 2014-2015).
- Article in proceedings for SMLM, “Aquinas and Locke on Person and Resurrection” forthcoming in 2015.
- Book reviews for Review of Metaphysics journal and Phi Beta Kappa Society ‘Life of the Mind’ series, forthcoming 2014-2015.