Lecturer in English
- B.A., University of Massachusetts - Amherst, 1996
- M.A., Georgetown University, 2011
Phone: (800) 422-1782
- Twenty Gods or None: The Making of a Nation from the Margins of Faith (under contract with Little, Brown & Co; anticipated publication: 2014).
- Rag and Bone: A Journey Among the World's Holy Dead (Henry Holt, 2009). Also published in Italian and Spanish.
- Believer, Beware: First Person Dispatches from the Margins of Faith (co-editor with Jeff Sharlet; Beacon, 2009)
- Songs for the Butcher's Daughter: A Novel (Simon & Schuster, 2008) Also published in Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, and Spanish.
- Vows: The Story of a Priest, a Nun, and Their Son (Simon & Schuster, 2005)
- Killing the Buddha: A Heretic's Bible (co-author with Jeff Sharlet; Simon & Schuster, 2004)
- Journalism published in the Washington Post, the New York Times, and other national publications.
Awards And Honors
- National Endowment for the Arts Creative Writing Fellowship, 2012
- Finalist for Prix Medicis Etranger (awarded to best foreign novel published in France), 2011
- Sophie Brody Award for Outstanding Achievement in Jewish Literature, 2009
- Hadassah/Ribalow Prize for Fiction, 2009
- National Jewish Book Award for Fiction, 2008
- Finalist for Mercantile Library First Novel of the Year, 2008