- B.A., Gettysburg College, 2001
- Spanish & Elementary Education
- M.A., UMass Boston, 2006
- Applied Linguistics
- Ph.D., Pennsylvania State University, 2010
- Curriculum & Instruction with a focus on Language and Literacy Education
- Dissertation title: “Voices of the Classroom Policymakers: How Teachers Make Sense of an English-only Policy”
- Addressing the needs of English language learners (ELLs) within teacher education
- The impact of a culturally and linguistically diverse student population on teaching and learning
- The language and literacy development of ELLs
- Language policy and its impact on students, teachers, schools and communities
Courses At Washington College
- EDU 351 Processes & Acquisition of Reading
- EDU 352 Reading Instruction & Assessment
- EDU 354 Literature for Children: K-8
- EDU 394 Special Topics: Cultural & Linguistic Diversity in Education
- EDU 412 Curriculum & Instruction: Language Arts and Social Studies
- EDU 413 & 414 Elementary Education Teaching Internship
Prior Teaching Experiences
- Spanish (as a foreign language), Grades K-8
- Two-way Bilingual Program Teacher, 5th Grade
- ELL Support Teacher, Grades K-5
- Adult ESL & Citizenship Courses
- Teaching Reading & Language Arts in Elementary School (college-level)
- Teaching English to English Language Learners (college-level)
- Language, Culture, and Classroom Issues for Practitioners (college-level)
- Evaluating Schools, Performances, and Programs with ELLs (college-level)
- Clinical Application of Instruction (college-level)
Recent Conference Presentations
Kim, Y., & Bunten, B.A. (April, 2013). “Knowledge Poverty in ELL Teacher Education Assessment: Issues & Explorations.” San Francisco, California: Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association.
Kim, Y., & Bunten, B.A. (April, 2012). “Key Issues in Preparing Pre-Service Teachers of English Language Learners.” Vancouver, British Columbia: Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association.
Bunten, B.A. (October, 2011). “Becoming ELL Literacy Teachers: The Learning Trajectory of Two Pre-Service Teachers and Their Implications for Teacher Education Curriculum.” Akron, OH: Curriculum and Pedagogy Conference.
Bunten, B. A. (October, 2010). “Blurring the Boundary: Understanding Teachers’ Sensemaking of an English-Only Policy.” Akron, OH: Curriculum & Pedagogy Conference.
Bunten, B. A. (January, 2010). “Welcome to America, now speak English: Preservice teachers’ discourses about ELLs.” State College, PA: Graduate Research Symposium for the Pennsylvania Applied Linguistics Consortium.
Bunten, B. A. (November, 2009). “Technological Nirvana: Preservice Teachers Witnessing Digital Literacies in Action.” Philadelphia, PA: Conference for the National Council of Teachers of English.
Bunten, B. A. (November, 2008). “Energizing Undergraduates’ Thinking about Cultural and Linguistic Diversity.” San Antonio, TX: Conference for the National Council of Teachers of English.