Washington Signature
[ Search and Navigation ]   [ View Full Site ]

Kiplin Hall

Castle Howard

  • News Image
    Lord William Howard
  • News Image
    Castle Howard Fire Dome
  • News Image
    The Great Hall
  • News Image
    Girl with Pigs - Thomas Gainsborough. Purchased in 1795.
  • News Image
    The altar and organ, which was built by Harrison & Harrison in 1875
  • News Image
    Howard Castle Gardens
  • News Image
    The Walled Garden
  • News Image
    Woodland Garden
  • News Image
    The Atlas Fountain
  • News Image
    The Great Lake
  • News Image
    The Mausoleum and the New River Bridge
  • News Image
    The Temple of Four Winds
  • News Image
    Castle Howard

Location: Castle Howard

June 11, 2014
Castle Howard is one of Yorkshire’s most monumental historical houses and gardens
-It has been home to the Howard family for over 300 years.
-It contains 1,000 acres of landscape located in the Howardian Hills in the heart of North Yorkshire.

Background History of The Howard Castle:

  • Lord William Howard the youngest son of Thomas Howard, 4th

    Duke of Norfolk.

  • Building began in 1699 and took over a hundred years to complete.

  • November 9th, 1940, a fire broke out at Castle Howard.

    • The blaze began as a chimney fire in the south-east corner of the South Front, and swept westerly through the building.

    • Nearly a third of the building was left open to the skies and the biggest architectural loss was the dome.
  • Howards have lived continuously in the house ever since it was built by Charles Howard

    • One brief interlude when it became a girls’ school during World War II.

  • The core of Castle Howard’s picture collection was accumulated by three generations in just under 100 years.

    • It is their passion which has put Castle Howard on the map as housing an art collection of global significance.

  • The Chapel is part of the mid 18th century west wing of the house and was originally intended to be a dining room.

 

Background History of The Howard Gardens:

  • Well known for its annual displays of daffodils, rhododendrons, delphiniums and roses.

  • The Walled Garden

    • The Rose Garden

      • Originally used in the early 18th century as a kitchen garden.

      • Area has been transformed into a garden of roses, dedicated to the memory of Lady Cecilia Howard.

    • The Sundial Garden

      • Home to an ornamental vegetable garden styled on a French kitchen garden, known as a “Potager”, where vegetables, fruits and flowers intermingle and are formally laid out for ornamental purposes. 
  • Woodland Garden

    • Twenty-five acres of woodland, containing a remarkable collection of plants, can be explored following an intricate network of paths, resembling those originally laid out in the 18th century.

  • Lakes and Waterways

    • The South Lake, below Temple Terrace, was fashioned in the early 1720s.

      • The 5th Earl installed the Prince of Wales Fountain in the South Lake in the 1850s. 
    •  While a decade later New River was widened from a natural stream.
    • The Great Lake to the north of the house was built by the 5th Earl in the 1790s.
    • The Atlas Fountain sits at the centre of the South Parterre The fountain was commissioned by the 7th Earl in 1850.
  • Monuments

    • Temple of the Four Winds

      • Originally known as the Temple of Diana

      • The temple was originally used as a place for refreshment and reading, and beneath it is a cellar where servants prepared the food they served to the family above.
    • New River Bridge

    • The Mausoleum

      • Standing high above New River, the Mausoleum rises 90 feet into the air and is the most dramatic building in the Castle Howard landscape.

      • Still the private burial place if the Howard family and nearly one mile from the house, the Mausoleum is not accessible during a visit. 

Last modified on Jun. 25th at 6:59pm by Jacqueline O’Connell.

54.121409; -0.905952