Hazardous Material Spill, Incident, or Release
Biological, Chemical, Radiological, Fuel, or Oil
- If the incident is indoors, close all doors in order to isolate the area if it is safe to do so.
- From a safe area call Public Safety at 410-778-7810 or local authorities at 911 (dial 9-911 from a campus phone).
- Be prepared to provide the following information regarding the spill or release:
- Name of the material
- Quantity of material
- Time of the incident
- Location of the incident
- If anyone is injured or exposed to material
- If a fire or explosion is involved
- Your name, phone number, and location
Follow Emergency Responder Instructions
- Arrange for someone to meet the emergency responders.
- Evacuate, if necessary. Remain in a safe designated area until released by emergency responders.
- Identify the name or type of substances involved to emergency responders if this information is available.
- Do not attempt to clean up a spill or release unless you are trained to do so and have the proper equipment.
Notified of a Hazardous Materials Incident
Follow the instructions provided by the emergency service officials
- Clear the area immediately if instructed to do so by the emergency providers, providing assistance to those with special needs.
- When evacuating, move crosswind, never directly with or against the wind.
- Remain in a safe designated area until released by emergency responders.